Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Teaching for Little Pay

This morning I'm having a hard time getting motivated to go to work. I teach at 10 a.m. and again tonight at 6 p.m.
I have some great lesson plans -- things that push college students out of their comfort zone. The interpersonal communications class has to judge the body language of people in photos, and later they'll put themselves in order by birthday without speaking. They'll see clips from the Daily Show about sexism and racism.
The English Comp class will draw houses then write instructions in hopes someone else can follow the instructions to draw the same house. The goal there is that the writer can begin to consider the audience and which information needs to be included.
So, lesson plans in place, I still feel sluggish and sit in front of the computer instead of hopping in the shower.
The reason, last week, this private, for-profit college emailed us that "Ooops! Forgot to put paychecks through. We'll just include it all in the next pay period."
And I find that teaching for free is less motivating than teaching for money.

3 comments:

Grace said...

This should brighten your day a little: I'll be on my way home in 24 hours!! Love you

Paulita said...

It does brighten my day, but there's still no money in it. Guess I'll have to find joy in the things that don't pay.

Linda said...

Have you seen the TV series Lie To Me? It's cancelled now I think but it was fascinating to me the way they could see what a person was really thinking by facial expressions and body movements.

Cockadoodle Doo or Cocorico?

 We stood in the middle of the road, having walked together 13 miles that day and Claudine grasped my forearm. "Mais non! It doesn'...