Tuesday, September 20, 2011

First Paragraph Tuesday -- The Ninth Wife


Every Tuesday, Diane at Bibliophile by the Sea posts the first paragraph of her current read. Anyone can join in. Go to Diane's website for the image and share the first paragraph of the current book you are reading.
This week I have picked up The Ninth Wife by Amy Stolls. I'm not sure where I heard about this book, but I've been waiting awhile to read it. The blurb on the back says that 35-year-old Bess meets a charming Irishman and learns that he has been married 8 times before. She decides to travel across the country and meet this Irishman's previous wives before she is willing to become wife number nine.
Here's the first paragraph:
"Pick a partner," says Bess's karate teacher, "and get a tombstone." As Bess learned nine months ago when she began her schooling in Tae Kwon Do, a tombstone is a black rectangular punching bag that you hold against your torso as a target for someone to kick you repeatedly in the stomach. Or, ideally, your solar plexus, your myung chi, the soft spot at the top of the rib cage that if kicked directly with a powerful eap chagi, say, by a one-hundred-ninety-pound software engineer from Bethesda, can knock the breath out of you and send you flying across the room into a pile of smelly sparring gear. Tombstones, Bess has come to realize, are a good thing. Tombstones can save lives.

The first paragraph without the blurb probably wouldn't grab me, but I'll keep reading to see if it pans out.
What about you? Would you keep reading?

7 comments:

Lucia said...

yep i think i would to see where it was going...

Anonymous said...

I never knew those were called tombstones. It's pretty interesting. I like that last sentence. "Tombstones can save lives."

JoAnn said...

The first paragraph doesn't do it for me, and I'm only mildly intrigued with the blurb.... will wait to hear what you think :-)

judi said...

too much info and not enough creativity in the opening paragraph for me. however... the story premise sounds potentially funny. could it be? paulita, let us know!

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

I'm thinking this one is not for me. Maybe I've just read too many books on polygamy, but the intro did not wow me. Hope you come back and tell me you loved it to change my mind...LOL

Linda said...

Sounds like a fun book.

Raine said...

Tombstone? My training instructor (back in college) just used term kicking pad. Lolz. Hmm, book titles like these always make me pause whether I can weather a emotional loaded book. Will be checking back for you thoughts about this one. :D

Cockadoodle Doo or Cocorico?

 We stood in the middle of the road, having walked together 13 miles that day and Claudine grasped my forearm. "Mais non! It doesn'...