Friday, September 09, 2011

iPhone Coffee Apps

This weekend as I got to the point farthest from my house on my run, I felt a sharp pain in my right knee. I tried to run through it but the pain continued. So I started walking.
As I walked home, I thought of the Caribou Coffee shop just up the street. I could stop and get a coffee since I had to walk anyway. But I didn't have any money with me. All I had was my iPhone, which serves as an iPod while I run, tucked safely into my water bottle belt.
Then I wondered about Apps. Did Caribou Coffee have an app that I could download, load up with money from my bank account and use to buy coffee? I searched apps but couldn't find one. Then I found the Starbucks app. During that rather long walk home with the painful knee, I concentrated on adding the app to my phone. I downloaded it and saw that I needed to enter my username and password, which I already had since I'd registered my Starbucks card before. Next, I added some money to the card, and, Voila! I could use my phone to buy coffee at Starbucks. Unfortunately, the Starbucks was not on my walk home, so I would have to wait before trying it. When I left later that morning to drive to Trader Joe's, I drove through Starbucks and handed over my own cup to fill with coffe and my iPhone as payment.
I'm not sure why it is so exciting to hand over my phone to pay for my coffee. I guess it's just one less thing I have to remember when I leave the house in the morning.
I love technology.

7 comments:

judi said...

hmm.... you're excited and i'm nervous about phone + monetary transactions.. interesting. ii wouldn't transact $$ in any way on a phone. guess you're more savvy and/or trusting than me.

[i hope your knee heals quickly.]

Paulita said...

Judi, Maybe I'm more greedy and more lazy than you. Simple and delicious -- that's the Starbucks iPhone app.

Linda said...

I love technology too. What did we do before mobile phones?

Dianne said...

I just found that app the other day ---works on my Android phone--- and used it to buy my Bistro lunch at the Starbucks near work. I'd forgotten my wallet in changing purses and realized there must be an app. So, instead of icky crackers from the bottom of a desk drawer, I had a very healthy 380 calorie lunch!

Mike Flat said...

Paulita, i have never heard of such type of iPhone coffee app!! But you have shared a very app and your experience with all. Thanks for that. I think now a days there are almost more apps available in the market for every purpose. Thanks to iPhone.

Lucia said...

thanks Steve Jobs

Jeff Boggs said...

Looks like Caribou Coffee missed an opportunity!

Cockadoodle Doo or Cocorico?

 We stood in the middle of the road, having walked together 13 miles that day and Claudine grasped my forearm. "Mais non! It doesn'...