Saturday, September 10, 2011

Saturday Snapshot -- Great Blue Heron

To participate in the Saturday Snapshot meme post a photo that you (or a friend or family member) have taken then leave a direct link to your post on Alyce's blog At Home With Books. Photos can be old or new, and be of any subject as long as they are clean and appropriate for all eyes to see. How much detail you give in the caption is entirely up to you. Please don’t post random photos that you find online.

While riding my bike along the Scioto River to the Columbus Audubon Center recently, I stopped to take this picture of the skyline with this cool new arching bridge in the foreground.


If I hadn't stopped for the photo, I would not have noticed the fearless hunter in the lower right corner of this picture. A great blue heron.


I didn't disturb him. He didn't move the entire time I was there. He stood and watched the falling water, ready for any stunned prey that toppled over the dam.

He must not have gotten the report about the Audubon Center downriver, or I'm sure he would have stopped there.

17 comments:

Carol said...

Oh wonderful!
It is amazing what we can miss, even in the town.

great photos

carol

Jill Buck said...

You see so much more when you have the chance to slow down! What a great oppertunity to appreciate it all.

Trish said...

Ha what a brave bird! It's a wonder he would see anything -let alone catch it- in all that swirling water.

Anonymous said...

That's a great photo. We have a little lake by our school and there's an egret who hangs out in the morning. It always seems like a special day when you see the "big" birds.

Mary (Bookfan) said...

LOL, he was looking for dinner! Love the city pics - especially the second.

Christine Rains said...

Amazing shots! I love the heron in the city scene.

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

Great shots! I love pictures of water, bridges, birds...all parts of the wonder around us.

Well, for some of us. I am sure there are wonderful shots to capture in my city, but I haven't seen much lately. But maybe I'll take my camera when I'm out and about and see what happens.

Here's MY SATURDAY SNAPSHOT and
MY WEBSITE

Anonymous said...

It's a good thing that you had your camera along when a possibility like this presented itself.
I love watching herons, such amazing patience.

Sheila (Bookjourney) said...

Love that! I always take my camera when I am biking.. you just never know.

Anonymous said...

Lovely photos! I work on a lake and every once in a while, a heron lands on the railing and stays for a while. I love to watch them.

Sherrie said...

Hi!
Awesome snapshots! Beautiful bridge and Heron looks very intent on catching something to eat. Have a great day!

Sherrie
Just Books

Alyce said...

I didn't even notice the little waterfall in the first photo until I saw the bird in the other photos. Blue Herons are one of my favorite birds. We used to see them frequently in the slough a few miles from where we lived when I was growing up.

Bev Hankins said...

What marvelous photos. I was really impressed with the bridge picture...and then you outdid yourself with the heron! Love it.

Here's my Snapshot: http://myreadersblock.blogspot.com/2011/09/saturday-snapshot-september-10.html

Leslie (Under My Apple Tree) said...

That's a beautiful shot! They are gorgeous birds. We have a colony of them along the river near my house.

gautami tripathy said...

Amazing photos!


Here is my Saturday Snapshot post!

Linda said...

I love seeing herons. They're majestic somehow.

Lucia said...

such beauty gret shots

Cockadoodle Doo or Cocorico?

 We stood in the middle of the road, having walked together 13 miles that day and Claudine grasped my forearm. "Mais non! It doesn'...