Tuesday, December 04, 2012

First Paragraph, Tuesday Teaser -- Traveling with Pomegranates

Every Tuesday, Diane at Bibliophile by the Sea posts the first paragraph of her current read. Anyone can join in. Go to Diane's website for the image and share the first paragraph of the current book you are reading.

This week I'm reading Traveling with Pomegranates by Sue Monk Kidd and Ann Kidd Taylor. Sue Monk Kidd is the author of The Secret Life of Bees, but that's not what drew me to the book. The travel memoir is about Kidd who is on the cusp of 50 and having a hard time with who travels with her daughter, a recent college graduate, to Greece. I'm on the cusp of 50 and my daughter is turning 21 this year, so it seems like these women took the trip that we will not be able to afford this year. But my daughter and I would probably go to France instead of Greece.
Here's the introduction:
Sitting on a bench in the National Archaeological Museum in Greece, I watch my twenty-two-year-old daughter, Ann, angle her camera before a marble bas-relief of Demeter and Persephone unaware of the small ballet she's performing -- her slow, precise steps forward, the tilt of her head, the way she dips to one knee as she turns her torso, leaning into the sharp afternoon light. The scene remids me of something, a memory maybe, but I can't recall what. I only know she looks beautiful and impossibly grown, and for reasons not clear to me I'm possessed by an acute feeling of loss.
Also this week is Teaser Tuesdays. Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by MizB of Should Be Reading. Anyone can play along! Open to a random page of your current read and share a teaser sentence from somewhere on that page. BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! Share the title & author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers.
Here's mine from page 66:
"You are wearing pomegranates," he says abruptly. "You are mother and daughter? I pause halfway out the door. "Yes," I tell him. "Mother and daughter."
"Demeter and Persephone. All right then." He motions us back inside and starts the car.
 
What do you think?

12 comments:

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

I've been curious about this one. I love that opener, with its description of the "small ballet." This looks like a great mother-daughter journey.

Here's MY TUESDAY MEMES POST

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

I'm not sure about this one; think I'd have to be in a certain mood to try it. Thanks so much for joining in this week.

Moniquereads said...

That's an interesting first paragraph. Like Diane, this would be something that I would have to be in a certain mood to read.

I hope you enjoy it.

Not for me said...

I like the title. The first paragraph reminds me of your writing so much the reporter - observing things I pass right by.... but no, I don't think so..

Beth F said...

The introduction is great. I too have been curious about this.

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

Paulita, thanks for visiting my blog earlier...but I left the wrong link! I left the one from last week.

Here's MY TUESDAY MEMES POST

Jessica @ a GREAT read said...

Nice tease!! Looove Greek mythology! The Persephone myth is definitely the most popular in retellings!

Thanks for visiting my teaser!

Lisa @ Lost in Literature said...

Oooo, another Greek mythology book! Great teaser!! :)

Nise' said...

When I turned 50, my daughter (26) and I went to Washington State to visit my mom (68)! We had a great time. I would keep reading even though I normally don't read NF.

Margot said...

Your first paragraph from Sue Monk is so touching. As a mother of grown=up children, I understand. I want to read this one.

Yvonne said...

Sounds like an interesting read.

Linda said...

I love travel memoirs so will look for this one. I like Sue Monk Kidd too.

Cockadoodle Doo or Cocorico?

 We stood in the middle of the road, having walked together 13 miles that day and Claudine grasped my forearm. "Mais non! It doesn'...