Tuesday, December 11, 2012

First Paragraph, Tuesday Teaser -- Farewell, Dorothy Parker

Every Tuesday, Diane at Bibliophile by the Sea posts the first paragraph of her current read. Anyone can join in. Go to Diane's website for the image and share the first paragraph of the current book you are reading.
Last December, I wrote a blog post about a book that I enjoyed called The Other Life by Ellen Meister. Meister has a new book coming out in February and Putnam sent me an arc to read. I'll let you know if it's as good as the last one.
Here's the intro:
Violet Epps stood before the maitre d' in the lobby lounge of the Algonquin Hotel, waiting to be noticed. She cleared her throat and he looked up, glancing right past her.  
"Who's next?" he said.


Also this week is Teaser Tuesdays. Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by MizB of Should Be Reading. Anyone can play along! Open to a random page of your current read and share a teaser sentence from somewhere on that page. BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! Share the title & author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers.
Here's mine from page 17:
And then the particles settled themselves into a recognizable image. Violet blinked. She wasn't just looking at a mass of floating dust particles. She was looking at a pale gray suggestion of a small woman holding a French poodle on her lap. As she continued to stare, the vision got stronger, more vibrant, until it wasn't a vision at all but a real live person.
 
Would you keep reading? I think it would be hard to portray Dorothy Parker. How can anyone else be as witty? As full of bon mots? I'll see how the author did and let you know.

6 comments:

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

Geez, talk about being ignored! I'd read some more. Hope it is a good one. Thanks for joining in.

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

Ah, I would keep reading. I like the descriptions and can empathize with the feeling that someone can somehow be "invisible."

Here's MY TUESDAY MEMES POST

Juli Rahel said...

That sounds pretty good! I love the description of the particles settling into a living form! Hop on over if you have the time!
My Teaser
Juli @ Universe in Words

Nise' said...

I would keep reading!

Margot said...

I'd keep reading. The author's intro drew me in.

Linda said...

Yes, let us know. She was an interesting character but difficult, I've read.

Cockadoodle Doo or Cocorico?

 We stood in the middle of the road, having walked together 13 miles that day and Claudine grasped my forearm. "Mais non! It doesn'...