Sunday, June 08, 2014

Dreaming of France -- Peter Mayle


Please join this weekly meme. Grab a copy of the photo above and link back to An Accidental Blog. Share with the rest of us your passion for France. Did you read a good book set in France? See a movie? Take a photo in France? Have an adventure? Eat a fabulous meal or even just a pastry? Or if you're in France now, go ahead and lord it over the rest of us. We can take it.
I won't say that Peter Mayle sparked my France dreams, but he definitely helped seal them with his book A Year in Provence. I'd already developed a passion for France when I discovered his memoir about moving to the Luberon and renovating an old house. I loved everything about the book -- the quirky characters, the detailed setting, the scrumptious food. The book, with nearly 300 reviews on Amazon, still pulls a 4.4 out of 5 star ranking.
I'll have to say that none of his other memoirs, Toujours Provence or Encore Provence have been quite at the same level. Mayle has also moved into novel writing. His novels all have a similar feel, and dare I say it, plot. The next step is usually fairly obvious; the resolution of the plot just a bit too easy. But they are set in lovely places like Marseille and Corsica, so I get to live there vicariously for a little while.
I'm almost finished with Mayle's latest novel The Corsican Caper. The 162-page book is so similar to his
previous books that my husband swore he had read this one already, before I pointed out that it was just released here in May. This novel has 3.3 stars out of 5 after 45 reviews. I'm afraid it may only get worse for Mayle, but I probably won't be one of those people giving him a low review. I just love the journey too much  and always enjoy traveling with him, wherever he goes in France.
Have you read any books by Peter Mayle? Do you have a favorite?

8 comments:

Esme said...

I like his books and was just given the DVD set.

Vicki Lesage said...

I haven't read any of his books but have always meant to. There are just so many other books on my TBR list!

Sally Tharpe Rowles said...

I was never really a fan of these books but maybe that is because we already had our own house in France & our own experiences.

Leovi said...

Peter Mayle is really very interesting!

Sim Carter said...

I've still got A Year in Provence on my list of books to read; but absolutely loved the movie!
Too bad his other work isn't living up to the first, still what a wonderful gift he's given all of us.

Linda said...

I love his books and his writing. I actually met him once at a party in Provence and he was very nice.

Louise said...

I read A Year in Provence way back when, I remember loving it- it was before I'd ever been to France, but I still haven't been to Provence. I can't remember if I've read any of his other books. I'd like to read A Year in Provence again sometime.

Anne in Oxfordshire said...

Hi Paulita, not read this book , will have a look soon. I have read A year in Provence and loved it.

Cockadoodle Doo or Cocorico?

 We stood in the middle of the road, having walked together 13 miles that day and Claudine grasped my forearm. "Mais non! It doesn'...