Sunday, June 15, 2014

Dreaming of France -- Good Meals, Bad Meals


Please join this weekly meme. Grab a copy of the photo above and link back to An Accidental Blog. Share with the rest of us your passion for France. Did you read a good book set in France? See a movie? Take a photo in France? Have an adventure? Eat a fabulous meal or even just a pastry? Or if you're in France now, go ahead and lord it over the rest of us. We can take it.
Food is always a big draw for visitors to France. I'm not a foodie. I don't plan specific meals that I will eat or arrange tours at chocolateries or take cooking classes -- not that I wouldn't love to do all of those things.
I can't think of many meals that I haven't enjoyed in France.
Well, one does come to mind.
Earl and I enjoyed the book Luncheon of the Boating Party by Susan Vreeland, and last time we went to France together we decided to eat at the restaurant which inspired the painting by Renoir.
The setting did not disappoint us, but the food was not as tasty as I'd expected from a French restaurant, even a mundane French restaurant.
The restaurant is located along the Seine outside of Paris. We took a train then muddled our way along the streets in search of the river and the restaurant.
We were there in April, so it was asparagus season.
The markets in Paris were full of thick stalks of white asparagus. So we both ordered asparagus for a starter but were disappointed by the limpness (make your own sexual joke here).
Even the dessert, although pretty, was a little bland. 
 
My favorite meal in France is usually breakfast, and I like to eat it at the hotel.
The pitcher of coffee and the pitcher of steamed milk alongside the basket of croissants and mini jars of jam. Yum.
Do you have a favorite meal in France?
I hope you'll visit each others' blogs to see more posts on Dreaming of France. 

16 comments:

heather said...

I loved that book. I'm going to Nice this fall. Can't wait.

Mystica said...

That breakfast sounds yummy!

Paulita said...

Heather, Nice in the fall sounds terrific.

Paulita said...

Mystica, Yes, it has never been a disappointment

Dianne said...

Hi Paulita ... I'm a real Foodie and these last few weeks in Paris have been extra special because of the wonderful eateries I have visited.. I love the researching and fossicking to find quaint French Bistro/ wine Bar style establishments that set my heart a flutter ..... not only revelling in the food but sitting soaking up the ambiance and listening to the locals conversing in their lovely soft melodic French.

Vicki Lesage said...

Shame your meal wasn't that good but the breakfast looks great!

Sally Tharpe Rowles said...

Breakfast is my favorite too!

Alexa said...

Your croissants look yummy. I've had a couple of memorable 3-star restaurant meals in Paris, but give me a fresh baguette, some good cheese, and a glass of wine—et je suis très contente!

Leovi said...

Wonderful place for a meal, I regret that I were not the quality at the height!

Jackie McGuinness said...

So sad the food was mediocre. My favourite foods in Paris are pate and crusty bread and duck!!!

Louise said...

The more touristy the restaurant, sadly the more mediocre the food. Still it does look pretty. I would have ordered the white asparagus too.

I've been running out of time and not getting any posts finished for the last few weeks (no abatement of Paris passion remain assured!). Given your food theme I thought I'd revisit a post I did last year about the best things I ate and drank on my trip last summer. It just made me sigh all over again. Was I really there? Did I really eat all that astonishment (and more, much much more of course). And yes we did really bring back 18,500 photos, I could blog about Paris forever I suspect.

Genie -- Paris and Beyond said...

Le Reminet is perfect for a nice lunch, and in many years I have never been disappointed. We tend to have lunch and then something light at our apartment for dinner.

Bises,
Genie

Sim Carter said...

We've got French food is on the brain too! Merci to you and Sally Tharpe Rowles I've got a delish looking recipe for Beef Bourguinon a la Hassan from The Hundred Foot Journey movie starring Helen Mirren as a French chef.

Catherine said...

Ahh how wonderful to visit the exact Boating Party restaurant! So lovely to have stumbled upon your blog, thank you for hosting...

Adria said...

I think some of the best meals in Paris are at unassuming little neighborhood cafes. I agree, Paulita: I've been disappointed by some places that are known for being the setting or inspiration for this or that. And yes, Parisian breakfasts are pretty good!

Anne in Oxfordshire said...

So sorry to read that your meal was not up to scratch but your breakfast does look good, I prefer to go out for breakfast but then I have never stayed in a hotel (not yet).

I find that they over cook their Asparagus but maybe it is different to the green type. so yes I agree not good.

It does sound as though you had a great time otherwise.

Cockadoodle Doo or Cocorico?

 We stood in the middle of the road, having walked together 13 miles that day and Claudine grasped my forearm. "Mais non! It doesn'...