Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Tuesday Intros -- The Wood Witch


Every Tuesday, Diane at Bibliophile by the Sea posts the first paragraph of her current read. Anyone can join in. Go to Diane's website for the image and share the first paragraph of the current book you are reading.

I don't usually read fantasy, but this novella, The Wood Witch by Pepper Sparks, is set in the area
 where I went hiking last week, so I'm going to give it a try.
Here's the intro:
On a humid summer day in the Appalachian Mountains, Sadie Brown sat in a red booth at Finnegan's Diner with her son, Nicholas, sipping coffee and eating a piece of tart rhubarb pie. She watched the dark shadows boil in Red-Hawk pass, a growing plume threatening to consume the hollers and rifts around them. Sadie, a long-time resident of Richmond County, was the only person to see the rolling mass advancing upon Summerset, and a burnt odor permeated the sleepy town along a lonely mountain road name Black Lick.
I found this on Amazon for $2.99. I'm looking forward to reading it.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good for you that you stretch out and experiment with genres that you don't usually read. I have to admit that fantasy and magical realism don't grab me either. A long time ago, I was in Katmandu and every other backpacker was reading "100 Years of Solitude." I had to find out what it was about. Hated it. Either you pass through the looking glass into the other world, or you don't.
As a francophile and lover of literature, have you read "Remembrances of Things Past"? It took me six years, but that was a world I was happy to keep plunging into.

grammajudyb said...

I don't read much fantasy either, but that first paragraph sure had me wondering. I've not been to the Appalachians but I could see what she was watching. Good words.

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

The author gives us a definite feel for the setting, and offers a peek into what might be happening next. Thanks for sharing. Here's mine: “DEATH AT BREAKFAST”

Emma at Words And Peace / France Book Tours said...

quite grabbing!

Literary Feline said...

This sounds like a good one. I hope you enjoy it. I enjoy fantasy quite a bit. Magic realism--hit and miss. Like your first commenter, I was not a fan of One Hundred Years of Solitude at all. I nearly swore off magical realism as a result, but Alice Hoffman brought me back around, thank goodness.

JoAnn said...

I don't read fantasy, either, but might be more likely to try a novella.

Emma Litttlefield said...

I say I don't read fantasy but this appeals to me I must admit.

Cockadoodle Doo or Cocorico?

 We stood in the middle of the road, having walked together 13 miles that day and Claudine grasped my forearm. "Mais non! It doesn'...