Tuesday, July 01, 2014

First Paragraph, Teaser Tuesday -- The Chocolate Kiss

Every Tuesday, Diane at Bibliophile by the Sea posts the first paragraph of her current read. Anyone can join in. Go to Diane's website for the image and share the first paragraph of the current book you are reading.
I enjoy a good chick lit book and when you throw in romance, chocolate and Paris, what's not to like. Here's the first paragraph of The Chocolate Kiss by Laura Florand.
It was a good day for princesses. The rain drove them indoors, an amused little rain with long cool fingers that heralded the winter to come and made people fear the drafts in their castles. And Magalie Chaudron, stirring chocolate in the tea shop's blue kitchen, felt smug to be tucked into the heart and soul of all this warmth, not wandering the wet streets searching for a home. 
I'm joining Teaser Tuesday this week too.
Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by MizB of Should Be Reading. Anyone can play along! Open to a random page of your current read  and share a teaser sentence from somewhere on that page. BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! Share the title & author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teaser
Here's the teaser from  page 96:
But she couldn't help noticing the treasure chest: a genuine jeweled chest several centuries old. He had probably bribed some collector with one of his pastries to lend him the piece, she thought irritably. The chest was tilted onto its side, and from it spilled his macarons, like something a dragon might die for: blood red filled with dark chocolate ganache, garnet flecked with genuine gold, one that was pure onyx, another a green so rich it could be emerald, another burnished amber.
Of course, this book also fits in with Paris in July, as will many of my posts this month. If you're passionate about France like I am, go ahead and check it out. It's spread across four main blogs this month.
If anyone doing Paris in July is interested in reading and reviewing either of my novels, I See London I See France or The Summer of France, please let me know and I'd be happy to get you an ebook copy free.

Hope you have some chocolate or some treasure in your day today.

16 comments:

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

Sorry, this one is not for me. Hope u love it though.

Bellezza said...

I love how you've found books for Paris in July that make you happy. When you look around, it's easier to find Paris or French themed books than one might initially think! I suppose everyone has a heart for France deep down.

Brona said...

I'm prone to a macaroon or 2 - a treasure chest full sounds delicious #nomnom!!

Louise said...

I'd love a treasure chest of macarons. Actually I'd settle for just one French macaron today. It will be several more months before I have any though. The book sounds cute.

Juli Rahel said...

Treasure chest filled with pastries? Give it to me! I love the intro, especially how the rain is described! Might have to check this one out since I'm going to France this Saturday (not Paris though)! Thanks for sharing :) Hope you have a great week!
My Intro & Teaser
Juli @ Universe in Words

Sandra Nachlinger said...

Unusual description in the opening -- "an amused little rain." I like that! Sounds like this story would be a fun escape.
My Teaser is from THE FRIENDSHIP STAR QUILT.

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

I do love the books set in Paris...and add some chocolate and I'm in heaven.

Thanks for sharing...and for visiting my blog.

Faith Hope and Cherrytea said...

I luv it! sounds like a read worth continuing =)
and delited to find the Paris in July I'd been thinking about a week ago..
Just beginning the newest annual Canadian Book Challenge- #8 - today on Canada Day [147th Birthday!] and we have a lot of French connxn, so I'll be hopping over to signup for that one.. thx for mentioning it!

I've posted for today's release of #3 Drew Farthering mysteries MURDER AT THE MIKADO

Unknown said...

I think this book might me crave too much chocolate, so I would probably not read it. I hope you enjoy it though.

Unknown said...

Who doesn't like a treasure chest. I find it intriguing. Peggy @ The Pegster Reads

Margot said...

That first paragraph really caught my attention. I'd like to read this one. I wonder, however, if the urge to eat chocolate increases as you go through the book.

Maya Love said...

I enjoyed the quirky descriptions in the opener and the teaser is yummy.
Here's mine http://www.lovebitesandsilk.co.uk/2014/07/teasertuesday-opening-paragraph-kairos.html

Anonymous said...

I can't figure out what genre this book is without cheating and looking online for more info. You say chick-lit, I was thinking fantasy but yes, I am interested in what this has to offer. Nice writing style.

Anonymous said...

I don't see a contact email for you, sorry, so I am posting this here. I would love to be able to read I See London, I See France if you would like me to read it and review it on my blog. It intrigues me and I would appreciate it:)
duffygal777(at)gmail.com

Nise' said...

Sounds delicious! Are you cheering on France in soccer?

Anonymous said...

thanks for highlighting this book. very few people resist a good romance in Pris! in fact the virtual book tour for this book was booked up in a matter of hours

Cockadoodle Doo or Cocorico?

 We stood in the middle of the road, having walked together 13 miles that day and Claudine grasped my forearm. "Mais non! It doesn'...