Friday, January 01, 2016

First Day Wrong Turn

Are you familiar with the superstition that whatever you do on the first day of the year,  you'll be doing throughout the year?
"Whatever a person does on this day will influence his activity for the rest of the year." 
That's according to the website New Year's Superstitions.
So every year, I try to make sure that I run on the first day of the year.
But what do you do if things have already gone awry after the stroke of midnight. One of the first communications I had after midnight was a spat. And no, we didn't talk through it and reach a resolution. Instead, I went to bed (finally) angry.
I got a call this morning from a friend whose New Year started off badly too.
When I woke up early, my stomach was upset. I wish I could say it was because I drank too much, but I only had one glass of wine. So instead of a run, I spent the morning in the bathroom.
Now, the hour grows close to noon, and I wonder how the rest of you turn around a new year that starts off badly?
I suppose, I could assume that I'm getting the bad out of the way and the rest of 2016 will be joyful.
Hope everyone else is having a lovely first day of the year.

9 comments:

Vonnie said...

Oh dear...I hope the rest of the day goes better for you.

Btw, I've never heard that superstition before. It kind of makes me go out, hike, and dance now. Lol

I hope that your first day of the year does not symbolize the rest of your year. I wish you tons of happiness and love!

Lee I said...

I'm originally from Southern California, so New Year's Day has forever started with the Rose Parade. As a child, we attended in person. After that I watched it on TV. HGTV broadcasts it without interruption. Today's had the most and biggest bands, beautiful floats, and sunshine. Somehow it felt defiant to me, gathering in a huge crowd in the face of wariness about big public gatherings. It doesn't look like I'll accomplish much today. A lot of days are like that, but I'm not going to take it as a precursor to the rest of the year. I'm with what Vonnie said ... your rocky start need not symbolize a whole year.

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

oh geez, just a 24 hour bug I hope. I don't believe in these superstitions, Hey, we've had a black cat for 13 years :)

Happy and Healthy New Year to you and yours.

Paulita said...

Vonnie, Thanks for your well wishes and words of wisdom. The day did get better

Paulita said...

Lee, I think you're right about our optimism and defiance in the face of threats as we continue to live the life we cherish. The Rose Bowl parade was gorgeous and the weather looked fabulous. Thanks for your words

Paulita said...

Diane, yes, I felt better after I went back to bed for awhile. You're right that we should ignore superstitions so I'm turning over a new leaf! Happy New Year!

grammajudyb said...

I am not familiar with that particular New Year's superstition either. Wishing you a year full of fun, family and all good things.

Paulita said...

Judy, Thanks for your support throughout the year. Hope you have a Happy New Year too.

Lucia said...

Wishing you the best year ever, hopefully whatever resolutions you are going to make stick! I basically did nothing NEW YEARS watched movies...I really hope that doesn't set the precedence for me this year. I wanna be more active. I have a fitbit that I need to keep busy!!!

Cockadoodle Doo or Cocorico?

 We stood in the middle of the road, having walked together 13 miles that day and Claudine grasped my forearm. "Mais non! It doesn'...