Sunday, January 04, 2015

Book Launch Reflections

I don't know how my book launch slipped past without a blog post, so I am revisiting the fun and frivolity we had there.
It was in early December when my friend and marketing manager Najah convinced me that I should have a book launch for Trail Mix. I'd never had a book launch for my other novels, so this was new to me.

Luckily, the owner of a local coffee shop, The Grandview Grind, offered her place free of charge and we set the night.
I brought in wine, cheese and crackers, chips and some local specialty pizzas to assuage the hungry crowd.
The whole time leading up to the book launch, I was verrry nervous. I hate for something to be all about me.
Most people, including my husband, would not guess that I would feel shy or embarrassed to be the center of attention, but I do. I didn't want to feel like I was extorting people to attend an event and buy a book. I only wanted it to be a celebration of the novels I've written.
At the prodding of both Najah and my friend Leah, I had a table with copies of Trail Mix, along with a few copies of my other novels, The Summer of France and I See London I See France.
When people began to arrive, both those I knew and those I didn't, I felt humbled and amazed.
And yes, people did buy my books and I spent the night signing copies. I should definitely have come up with some sort of catch phrase. My most common one was "Enjoy the adventure!" which is something that I mean about both life and my novel.

I did get to enjoy spending time with friends from so many different sections of my life, and my friends were delighted to meet the other friends they'd heard so much about. My homeschool friends met my running friends who met my coffee shop friends who met the local relatives too. And Grace had a whole other section of friends who came, mostly because she's so persuasive.



After a lovely introduction from Leah, I read from the Prologue of my novel. I'll have to work on that too. Maybe I should pause longer at places where people are supposed to laugh.









In the end, I got to drink a glass of wine and spend time with friends, and I had only one book to carry home with me.
Next time, I'll know better what to expect, and I plan to have a blow-out book launch.

5 comments:

Just Me said...

Congrats to you on your first of many. Sounds and looks like a sweet success. Thank you so much for sharing with those who couldn't make it.

Paulita said...

Just Me, You were sorely missed, but you always are.

Anne in Oxfordshire said...

Paulita , listen to me , It is all about you ! YOU wrote the book , we didn't do it. And if people did not want to attend or buy your book , they wouldn't!!! You were not extorting people. They WANTED to come along. Isn't that being an author is all about.

I HAVE read the book , finished it today ,and yet to do my review. Let me tell you , I was with the two ladies , from the off .. I loved it. Yes your are right "Enjoy the adventure" !! I am so pleased that you got lots of support. ♥

Unknown said...

It was a fun evening, Paulita and NO ONE felt like they had to buy. Your friend Anne is right; people only bought if they wanted to.
I hope you do have another. You looked fab that night (as always) and the books and company were delightful! -Tracie

Anne in Oxfordshire said...

I forgot to say how wonderful of the coffee shop owner too! Community spirit.

Cockadoodle Doo or Cocorico?

 We stood in the middle of the road, having walked together 13 miles that day and Claudine grasped my forearm. "Mais non! It doesn'...