Sunday, January 01, 2017

Dreaming of France -- 2017 This is the Year


Thank you for joining this weekly meme. Grab a copy of the photo above and link back to An Accidental Blog. Share with the rest of us your passion for France. Did you read a good book set in France? See a movie? Take a photo in France? Have an adventure? Eat a fabulous meal or even just a pastry? Or if you're in France now, go ahead and lord it over the rest of us. We can take it.

Today is the first day of the year that I will move to France. This year we will make our dream come true.
Everything I do with the kids, with my friends, makes me think, I won't be able to do this next year.
So there's a certain melancholy to it, but I imagine the adventures my husband and I want to have. I think about his recent 61st birthday and how we could push back the date to move, but how many healthy years do we have to climb mountains and dip our toes into the Mediterranean.


How many years can we count on wanting to walk unfamiliar city streets and settle into cafes for glasses of wine or tiny cups of espresso, to order in another language and try to translate menus;

to breathe in the beauty of a Roman-made arena or walk in the footsteps of great artists;
We visited the studio of Paul Cezanne and gazed at Mont Ste. Victoire which he painted many times.
The Pont du Gard in southern France was built by the Romans around 19 BC
And we rode our bikes across it. Amazing
I know that I may face many sentimental decisions in the coming months as we get rid of belongings, sell our house and plan to move to France, but I need to remember the reasons I'm doing it. We could get to the end of our lives and say we accumulated a lot of things and lived a safe life, or we can take some chances and have some adventures.
Hopefully, the safety of a leather recliner will be waiting for us when we tire of adventures.
So, don't cry for me, dear readers, wish me luck and follow along as I journey on.
Oh, and pray that none of my kids decide to become parents, because I have a feeling that grandchildren would throw a wrench into all of our plans.
Thanks for playing along with Dreaming of France. Please leave your name and blog address in Mr. Linky below, and leave a comment letting me know what  you think about my love affair with France, or your own passion for the country and its people and cultures. Also consider visiting the blogs of others who play along so we can all share the love.

16 comments:

Emma at Words And Peace / France Book Tours said...

good luck! I forgot in which region

Just Me said...

I love this post and how you've expressed your dream, your next adventure. I can see glide over the hurdles that people unintentionally put before you. You are an inspiration. I'm excited to share the journey with you. I will send you a steady stream of well wishes. Cheers!

Working Girl said...

Super exciting! I went through the same thing you did (more or less) -- I thought, If not now, when? And I did move to France. This was some years back and I am again living in the U.S. but it was an adventure I have never ever regretted. Bonne chance et bon courage!!!

Esme said...

It is going to be quite the adventure.Exciting yet scary.

Sim Carter said...

It will be exciting and of course, when your kids have babies, you can always come back to the states. Fingers crossed they stay childless for awhile so you can have your adventure. Who knows, maybe they'll all move to France too.

our life in france said...

Yes it is sad to leave familiar things behind but just think of the adventure you are going to have and it is important to follow your dreams and have no regrets while you still can, jump in and enjoy every minute x

Jacqui Brown said...

I hope this year is all you have dreamed it will be. Life in France is different to holiday, but I know you will have a great time finding that out! Best of luck to you both xxx

Paulita said...

Emma, We're planning to move to Languedoc, which is changing its name to l'Occitanie.
Just Me, So glad that you are along for the ride of my move to France
Esme, Yes, I'm equally parts scared and excited
Sim, We're hoping we can convince the kids to come visit every year, plus maybe leave their kids with us while they travel around Europe. Who knows how things will turn out in the future.
Roz, Thanks for the encouragement since you've been through all of this.
Jacqui, Yes, I know it will be different than vacation, but for Earl who is retiring, it will be like an extended holiday. Not sure how it will be for me since I hope to be working -- either teaching English at a university in France, or teaching online for the universities where I work now.

Philippe F. said...

Bonne et heureuse année Paulita ! Je n'ai aucun doute que 2017 sera l' année de votre installation en France car vous êtes 2 à rêver de vivre ici. De plus vous connaissez très bien ce pays ( magnifiques photos ) et cela vous aidera à vous adapter à la vie française dans la belle région d' Occitanie ( ex- Languedoc-Roussillon ). Vous pourrez ainsi faire de nombreuses randonnées pédestres, à vélo,ou visiter les vignerons ( il y en a beaucoup dans ce coin de France ), aller au restaurant ou au cinéma, visiter les musées, faire du shopping dans les rues et s' asseoir à une terrasse de café, etc...Louez un appartement et prenez votre temps pour choisir votre maison idéale.// Healthy and happy New Year Paulita! I' ve no doubt that it will be the year of your installation in France because you are both dreaming to live here.Furthermore you know very well this country ( gorgeous pictures )and it will help you to adapt to the french way of life into the nice Occitanie ( sounds " OXY- t'-ANNIE )county ( ex- Languedoc-Roussillon ). So you can make hikes, bike rides,visit wine makers ( there are a lot in this corner of France! ),eat at restaurant,go to cinema ( movies in english are available in big cities around ),visit museums, wander for shopping by little streets, sit in café's terrace etc...Rent a flat and take time to choose your ideal house. Good luck Paulita.Philippe from Lyon ( France).

Paulita said...

Philippe, Thanks for the good wishes and the joint imaginings of all the things we'll enjoy in France.

Anonymous said...

It's always good to opt for adventure. You won't regret it.
I hope we'll meet when you get here, since I'm in your target region--and I'm happy to try to answer any questions.

Paulita said...

Francetaste, Thanks. I look forward to meeting you. It's good to have friends already in place!

A Green and Rosie Life said...

10 years ago we were just starting on the same journey. We then moved to France in Aug 2007. Bon courage with your move!

But you are in France, Madame said...

Let the adventure begin...

Phoebe | Lou Messugo said...

How exciting! What an adventure you're going to have. Thanks for linking up to #AllAboutFrance, I hope you've found some useful blogs for advice and encouragemnet.

Behtsdh said...

Very good

خرید vpn

Cockadoodle Doo or Cocorico?

 We stood in the middle of the road, having walked together 13 miles that day and Claudine grasped my forearm. "Mais non! It doesn'...