Tuesday, December 02, 2014

First Paragraph -- Fast-Pitch Love

Every Tuesday, Diane at Bibliophile by the Sea posts the first paragraph of her current read. Anyone can join in. Go to Diane's website for the image and share the first paragraph of the current book you are reading.
This is a young adult novel written by a colleague of mine, Clay Cormany, and I surprised myself by getting drawn into it. I can't wait to continue reading.
It's told from the perspective of a high school boy, Jace, who has a crush on an unattainable girl and the lengths he goes to in hopes of winning her. He volunteers to help coach a softball team that his little sister is on because he thinks the girl will also be an assistant coach.
Clay told me the publisher, Astraea Press, insisted the book be very innocent, so this might be a title some of you would consider for young teenagers or older who want to read about love without a lot of swear words or gratuitous sex.
The book opens with the unattainable girl's boyfriend intimidating other boys who might think of asking her out.

Here's the intro:
The skinny student recoiled from the push, his back thumping into the wall behind him. His books fell to the floor as he raised his hands to block the punch that seemed imminent.
"Don't hit me, Carson," the student pleaded. "I didn't mean anything by it."
Carson Ealy, all two hundred thirty pounds of him, loomed over the frightened student like a hungry bear. "How can you say you 'didn't mean anything by it'?" he snarled. "You asked her out, didn't you?"
I'm deep into this romance and wondering what else might go wrong for Jace.
Hope you'll give it a try. You can find it online at Amazon for $4.99. 

Also this week, Sandra Nachlinger is featuring my novel Trail Mix on her blog Writing With a Texas Twang. Here's part of her comments:
Right now I'm about 60% of the way into the story, experiencing the Smoky Mountains through the characters' eyes and having a great time... all without aching muscles or blisters on my toes.
Hope you'll stop by and see what she has to say too.

6 comments:

Monica's Bookish Life said...

The intro really got my attention. I'm worried about what will happen to Jace, so I'd have to keep reading! Thanks for stopping by my blog today!

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

This one sounds good, doesn't it? And as you know, I loved Trail Mix, so I was delighted to see it on Sandra's blog.

Here's mine: “THE SECRETS OF MIDWIVES”


Nise' said...

I like it that the publisher wanted it innocent. I would keep reading.

Sandra Nachlinger said...

Even though I don't usually read young adult fiction, this sounds like a story I'd enjoy. The opening definitely grabbed my attention and made me want to know more.
I was delighted to feature TRAIL MIX today and hope many readers discover this terrific book through reading about it on my blog.
Here's the link: TRAIL MIX.

Catherine @ Book Club Librarian said...

Sounds like the story is off to a good start.

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

I'd have to pass, just not my thing sorry.

Cockadoodle Doo or Cocorico?

 We stood in the middle of the road, having walked together 13 miles that day and Claudine grasped my forearm. "Mais non! It doesn'...