Wednesday, September 25, 2013

To Friend or To Block

Dear Relatives and Faraway Friends,
I'm so happy to be your friend on Facebook. Now, even though we live apart from each other, I can keep up with your activities, see your fun pics, watch your baby grow, laugh at your puppy pictures. Facebook gives us a chance to be closer.
 I can see the nursery you've prepared for the baby or like your child's senior picture. I can cheer for you on a run or a bike ride. It makes me feel less lonely for all my relatives while I'm here in Central Ohio and you are spread from other areas in Ohio to Florida to Virginia to Texas and California.
But, even though it's not an election, you've started to "like" things that drive me crazy. Political things. Things like bombs and guns and self-centered politicians who don't really care about making our country better. And then, I have to block you.
 Because it drives me crazy.
 I bite my tongue and sit on my hands so I don't respond.
 I want to ply people with knowledge, but a recent survey shows that, whether liberal or conservative, people are not influenced by logic when it comes to politics. That means that liberals are convinced that President George Bush banned all stem cell research, even though he allowed research to continue with already identified stem cell lines, and conservatives when shone a graph that had a line going up with the number of jobs under President Obama refused to see it as an increase in jobs. That same graph when showing shoe sales, they could read as an increase in shoe sales.
Okay, I'm not going to convince you and you're not going to convince me.
I admit to being guilty of liking one thing political on Facebook. It was a law that passed and an old high school friend who I hadn't talked to in years brought it up the minute we exchanged messages. And we didn't friend each other.
Since then, I have avoided liking anything political. So how bout we avoid politics on Facebook?
That way we can still be friends, and I won't have to block you. So you don't drive me crazy.

5 comments:

Just Me said...

OMG. In a million years, I could not have said better, and I'm not even on Face Book. But I have dear friends, and new friends that I sincerely do not want to know their politics. I want to put my fingers in my ears and hum out loud if I even think they are about to say we should not all have health care or that we need to take food stamps away from the most needy. Sorry I digress.

I don't want to hate but I don't understand half of our nation and they don't understand me.

It's better I don't know and it's better I don't watch the news.

My sanity is at stake.

judi said...

can I *like* this?

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

I hear you!!!

I deactivated my FB account some time ago. I have pretty strong political feeling but only discuss politics with my husband:) we pretty much feel the same way when it comes to politics:)

Paulita said...

See, I could probably be friends with all of you guys. Oh, I am!

Linda said...

I'm thinking of not attending my 50th high school reunion because of the political rants I see old class mates making. Do I want to spend even one evening with those nuts? We will see.

Cockadoodle Doo or Cocorico?

 We stood in the middle of the road, having walked together 13 miles that day and Claudine grasped my forearm. "Mais non! It doesn'...