Friday, July 17, 2020

Social Butterflies

This morning, my husband said, "So we have fish & chips tonight?"
"Correct," I replied.
"Then the night market for dancing?"
"Yes."
"The party tomorrow?"
"Right, and on Sunday we're meeting Marie and her family in Carcassonne, then coming back to play cards with Jack and Jules at the pool house."
"Monday?" He cocked an eyebrow at me.
"Dinner at Claudine and Ray's. Then don't forget the Knud and Stella are cooking a rabbit for Jack to try on Tuesday."
"Please tell me Wednesday is free," he said.
"As far as I know," I replied. I didn't mention bellydancing class which Grace and I would go to. He could stay home and rest.
Looking at the schedule, I was thinking of all the nights we don't have to cook dinner, but he may have been picturing just a hectic life.
Grace and Jack, both introverts, have let me know they are fine with a pared down social schedule. 

When we lived in Columbus, we had friends whose company we enjoyed, but we didn't have people over very often, and we didn't get invited to people's homes very often.
We might meet friends for book group or go out together for dinner.
Life in France is a whirlwind of social activities.
Just love this picture of Kris and Rosie headed to our house about 10:45 after the gathering had broken up. 
I often wonder if it is because people are retired so they have more time to get together. Maybe if we stayed in Ohio, it would have been the same.
Maybe it's the cheap wine. We can all afford to gather and drink wine.
Maybe it's the life style that we moved for, looking for a life with more connections to people.
I'm looking forward to some busy evenings with friends in the coming days, but my mornings are still clear if anyone wants to meet for coffee.

3 comments:

Latane Barton said...

Such a busy schedule... don't you just love it!

Kiwi said...

The cheap wine is part of it, but a bigger reason why socializing is much easier in France is that it is easier to meet in public spaces and there is so much less driving! Walking a mile or more to see friends feels like nothing when you are going through picturesque surrounds, and public transport is efficient and frequent. No need to worry about drinking and driving. And when a lunch or dinner is hours long, one does not get so tipsy, even drinking several glasses. Ideal.

Mystica said...

I like it because you have the choice to join or not and can decide on the pace! for most people there are no opportunities for socializing especially if you have young children. It is retirees who have the choice to do what they like - very nice feeling. I am all for it.

Cockadoodle Doo or Cocorico?

 We stood in the middle of the road, having walked together 13 miles that day and Claudine grasped my forearm. "Mais non! It doesn'...