Tuesday, July 02, 2013

First Paragraph, Tuesday Teaser, Paris in July -- Paris

Every Tuesday, Diane at Bibliophile by the Sea posts the first paragraph of her current read. Anyone can join in. Go to Diane's website for the image and share the first paragraph of the current book you are reading.
This week, in honor of Paris in July and my general love of France, I'm starting the book Paris by Edward
Rutherfurd.  Here's the intro:
It was Julius Caesar who had first seen the possibilities of the place where the modest Parisii tribe made their home. The Mediterranean lands of southern Gaul had already been Roman provinces for generations at that time; but when Caesar decided to bring the troublesome Celtic tribes of northern Gaul into the empire as well, it hadn't taken him long.
This book is generational story that stretches from 1875 to the 1960s. I hope it's good.
Also this week is Teaser Tuesdays. Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by MizB of Should Be Reading. Anyone can play along! Open to a random page of your current read h and share a teaser sentence from somewhere on that page. BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! Share the title & author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers. Here's my teaser from page 152: 
"The precision is astounding," he told his family. "Every piece fits exactly, every hole is drilled to perfection. I never have to pause in my work." He grinned. "The whole tower will go up like clockwork. It has to," he added. "The exhibition starts in eighteen months."
I bet you can guess what he's talking about.
Paris in July is cohosted by Thyme for Teaand Bookbath.

7 comments:

Harvee said...

A good travel book that focuses on Paris is by Davie Downie. The title?
Paris, Paris.

Pooch said...

The reviews are good for this book. It would fit nicely with the David McCullough book I read last year. Have you read THE GREATER JOURNEY?

:)

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

I've been wanting to read this one, but it's a real chunkster ---I'll get to it someday, but it seems perfect for your Paris in July Challenge. ENJOY

Thanks for joining us...I'd keep reading based on the intro if I had more free time.

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

This sounds intriguing....thanks for sharing, and for visiting my blog.

Linda said...

That looks really good. I bet there's all sorts of info about Paris in it that I never knew about.

Literary Feline said...

This does sound interesting! I will have to look for this one.

Arianne The Bookworm said...

that was quite an interesting teaser :) building the Eiffel Tower perhaps?

thanks for sharing and thanks too, for the recent visit & comments on my blog :)

Cockadoodle Doo or Cocorico?

 We stood in the middle of the road, having walked together 13 miles that day and Claudine grasped my forearm. "Mais non! It doesn'...