Monday, October 08, 2012

Caffeine

An unintended side effect of this broken nose and surgery is that I have given up caffeine.
I know, it's as hard to make the leap between runnning and broken nose as it is between broken nose and caffeine.
Here I am getting an espresso hit in Paris.
Well, I did indeed fall while running and land on my nose breaking it. And now, I've given up caffeine due to the broken nose.
On Friday, the doctor scheduled surgery at 1:30 to put the bones back in place. That meant I couldn't eat or drink anything after midnight. Since I'm not a little kid, I thought this wouldn't be a big deal. I mean, I do have some self control.
I was up at my usual 5, getting things done on the computer. Around the time Tucker woke up for school, my head had started to ache a bit. I'd planned on running a few errands that morning to keep my mind off everything. By 9 a.m. I was lying on the couch with a pounding headache. At 11:30, half an hour before I was to appear for surgery, I was throwing up from the lack of caffeine. Not that I had anything in my stomach...

The morning after surgery, as I stood in front of the espresso maker, remembering how miserable I had felt without caffeine, and knowing that it was currently out of my system, I reached for the decaf.
If you'd asked me, I would have said my favorite thing about coffee in the morning is the flavor. I mix it with steamed milk and add a little sugar. Mmmm.
But, for some reason, the decaf coffee has not tasted as good.
For now, I'll stick with decaf, until the memories of withdrawal fade away. Then I'll probably be back to regular again.

4 comments:

DCMetroreader said...

I'd miss caffeine too!

I hope you recovery quickly and can go back to your morning java!

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

I would have a major withdrawal migraine:) take care.

Meaghan said...

Wow, sounds like you had a really bad time there with the nose and the caffeine. I am sorry to hear about all of it. I am not a coffee drinker myself, but I can imagine coming off it after you have it so much can be really hard.

Anne said...

Hello, Dear! I've just discovered your lovely blog, and I'm now following you ~ so nice to meet you! I wish you well with your poor nose...I understand about the headache from caffeine withdrawal...a few years ago I was in the hospital and could not shake an awful headache...I'm not a coffee drinker, but must have my tea... after mentioning my pounding head to the Doc (not realizing it was from lack of caffeine) a little while later he came back in the room with a cup of tea...that did the trick!
Best,
Anne

Cockadoodle Doo or Cocorico?

 We stood in the middle of the road, having walked together 13 miles that day and Claudine grasped my forearm. "Mais non! It doesn'...