Sunday, April 08, 2012

Best Ever Carrot Cake Recipe

As promised in my previous post, here's a copy of the best carrot cake recipe. In general, I don't like fruity desserts, but this carrot cake wows me. I got it from a former friend. The friendship didn't last, but I still respect the carrot cake.
I thought it was appropriate for Easter dinner, but it just made me miss Grace more because she usually makes it with me.
First mix together: 2 Cups flour (the recipe calls for whole wheat, but I use white flour)
2 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt.

In a separate bowl, cream together:
3 beaten eggs
3/4 cup oil (I use canola oil)
2 cups brown sugar
2 tsp. vanilla
1 cup plain yogurt

Combine the dried and the creamed ingredients.

Then add:
1cup golden raisins
1 8-ounce can of crushed pineapple (drained)
2 cups grated carrots
3 1/2 ounces of coconut
(See what I mean? Enough fruits and vegetables to reach 5 servings in one piece of cake.):
It looks kind of gross when I pour it into the 9-inch by 13-inch pan then bake it for 50 minutes at 350 degrees.
But afterwards all of the fruits and vegetables become one delicious baked good.
Add the cream cheese icing while the cake is still warm:
Cream together:
1 stick of room temperature butter
8 ounces cream cheese
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups powdered sugar
1 tsp. orange juice
1 tsp grated orange peel (I used a clementine and grated it when I realized I didn't have any bottled orange peel.)
Yum. I'm going to make a cup of decaf cappucino and enjoy this cake.

4 comments:

BFF said...

Julie was good for something. I will try this

Linda said...

One of my favorites. My husband doesn't like pineapple or coconut and I'm not sure if he would even like plain carrot cake so I don't make it. I would eat it all by myself happily.

Delana@dujour said...

This is almost exactly my recipe...except yours has less oil and the yogurt. I like that better and will try it this week. Because, my friend brought me grated coconut, which I haven't been able to find. Oh, and I throw in a cup or so of toasted walnuts. Hope you had a lovely Easter. I know, it's so hard without the kids, isn't it?

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

My SIL made her favorite carrot cake recipe yesterday (no pineapple) but raisins, nuts, carrots yogurt, it is yummy yummy.

Full fat cream cheese frosting:)

Cockadoodle Doo or Cocorico?

 We stood in the middle of the road, having walked together 13 miles that day and Claudine grasped my forearm. "Mais non! It doesn'...