Monday, September 07, 2015

Tuesday Intros -- Lisette's List


Every Tuesday, Diane at Bibliophile by the Sea posts the first paragraph of her current read. Anyone can join in. Go to Diane's website for the image and share the first paragraph of the current book you are reading.
This week I hope to start Lisette's List by Susan Vreeland. You may know her from the novel The Girl in Hyacinth Blue.
Here's the intro:
1937
Amid the crowd of travelers darting in front of the Avignon train station, the delivery boys on ancient bicycles swerving between children and horse carts, and the automobile drivers honking their horns. Andre stood relaxed, eating an apple from a fruit stand. Meanwhile, I paced in a tight circle around our carpetbags, our valises, and our crates filled with everything we could take with us from our apartment in Paris, plus the tools from his workshop, plus the dream of my life sacrificed.
"Are you sure we're in the right place?" I asked.
"Yes, Lisette," Andre plucked a broad leaf off a nearby plane tree and laid it on a cobblestone. He touched my nose with his index finger and then pointed to the leaf. "He'll park right there. On that cobblestone. Just watch." He squeezed my hand. "In the south of France, things happen as they should."
Oh, did I mention that it is set in France? Another attraction for me.
 Looking forward to seeing what everyone else is reading.

3 comments:

Mystica said...

Definitely for me!

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

I do like this author, so based on that and the intro --yes, I'd read more.

KSJones said...

Oh, what a wonderful (partial) line: plus the dream of my life sacrificed. Nice!

Cockadoodle Doo or Cocorico?

 We stood in the middle of the road, having walked together 13 miles that day and Claudine grasped my forearm. "Mais non! It doesn'...