Thursday, September 24, 2015

Commitments

My schedule this semester, teaching six college courses, is hectic on some days and totally open on other days.
But nature abhors a vacuum, so on Tuesdays and Thursdays when I don't have classes scheduled, when I could use the day to take walks with friends, to write my novels, to grade papers and answer students' questions by email, something usually comes up that requires my attention.
On Tuesday, I made the mistake of posting on Facebook what a fabulous, carefree day I was having. My daughter immediately began to beg me to bring her lunch at her work place.

I said no, but she continued to beg, and by that point, my day was ruined anyway. If I went to buy lunch then took it to her, an hour of my day would disappear. If I didn't take it to her, I felt stingy and mean.
Wednesday passed in the blur of four classes starting at 8 a.m., a quick gym workout, then a 4-hour evening class.
But before I pulled myself out of  bed at 5:45 this morning, I already knew that the day had filled with errands, the biggest one being a drive down to Athens, Ohio, where my boys go to college. The drive is beautiful, but I'm not going to enjoy it or even to spend time with the boys.
Instead, I'm driving down, picking up the car that needs a brake job and driving back.
Yes, my family is sending me after the car with the faulty brakes.
So a three-hour drive for me this morning followed by an afternoon of grading papers.
Hope you get some time to enjoy yourself today.

7 comments:

Anne in Oxfordshire said...

Hi Paulita ..you are far from stingy or mean .I think you do over and beyond . You shouldn't be driving all that way and especially with a car with faulty brakes. Do you then have to drive it back?,I do hope you find some time soon to spend with your friends ..write and do what you would like to do with your time. Take care and enjoy some free time.

Paulita said...

Thanks, Anne. I made it back safely and the car is at the shop to get fixed. I know I need to make my grownup kids take more responsibility. And I do take time for me. My next book is finished and I'm editing now.

Noreen said...

I hope you graded papers out on your front porch on such a gorgeous day. I wish I could have ridden along with you to Athens this morning. How fun would that have been?

Noreen said...

I hope you graded papers out on your front porch on such a gorgeous day. I wish I could have ridden along with you to Athens this morning. How fun would that have been?

Just Me said...

Congrats on finishing another novel as well as getting home safe and sound. Your post is funny.

Terra said...

I hope you find some time for relaxation one of those Tuesdays or Thursdays.

Anne in Oxfordshire said...

Glad you made it back safely ..and found time for yourself. Yay cannot wait to read your next book ๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š well done.

Cockadoodle Doo or Cocorico?

 We stood in the middle of the road, having walked together 13 miles that day and Claudine grasped my forearm. "Mais non! It doesn'...