Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Tuesday Intros -- The Girl You Left Behind

Every Tuesday, Diane at Bibliophile by the Sea posts the first paragraph of her current read. Anyone can join in. Go to Diane's website for the image and share the first paragraph of the current book you are reading.
Yesterday I downloaded The Girl You Left Behind by Jojo Moyes. Luckily for me, she's a popular author who sets many of her stories in France. I was surprised that this one is a historical novel set during World War I, which disappointed me, I'd rather have a modern setting, but I'll still read it.
Here's the intro.:
I was dreaming of food. Crisp baguettes, the flesh of the bread a virginal white, still steaming from the oven, and ripe cheese, its borders creeping toward the edge of the plate. Grapes and plums, stacked high in bowls, dusky and fragrant, their scent filling the air. I was about to reach out and take one, when my sister stopped me. "Get off," I murmured. "I'm hungry."
"Sophie. Wake up."
I could taste that cheese. I was going to have a mouthful of Reblochon, smear it on a hunk of that warm bread, then pop a grape into my mouth. I could already taste the intense sweetness, smell the rich aroma.
 She wakes up to find the Germans at the house searching for a pig the family is allegedly hiding.
I hope it's good. Can't wait to see what everyone else is reading.

8 comments:

grammajudyb said...

This one is on my TBR list. Can't wait to hear what you think of it. Have a great week.

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

I loved this one...and that intro. I have had dreams like that, in which I literally could taste something!

Thanks for sharing and enjoy.

Here's mine: “BLUEPRINTS”

Kay said...

Oh goodness. The food description is lovely, but she wakes up and the Germans are there. Wow. Yes, I'd continue reading.

Sandra Nachlinger said...

Love that vivid description. I could almost taste the cheese too. I'm intrigued by books set in the WWI era, so I'm sure I'd enjoy this one.
My Tuesday post features THE ROSIE PROJECT.

Monica's Bookish Life said...

This one is on my TBR list. I love stories set around that World War I time period, and I love Moyes' writing, so I'd keep reading!

Literary Feline said...

Of all this author's books, this is the one that I want to read the most. I hope to read it someday.

JoAnn said...

I loved this book! Hope you do, too.

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

Love the intro and the author! Would keep reading.

Cockadoodle Doo or Cocorico?

 We stood in the middle of the road, having walked together 13 miles that day and Claudine grasped my forearm. "Mais non! It doesn'...