Tuesday, November 06, 2012

First Chapter, Tuesday Teaser -- The Unfinished Work of Elizabeth D

Every Tuesday, Diane at Bibliophile by the Sea posts the first paragraph of her current read. Anyone can join in. Go to Diane's website for the image and share the first paragraph of the current book you are reading.
Here's the introduction from a novel by Nichole Bernier called The Unfinished Work of Elizabeth D. about Kate who inherits the journals of her friend Elizabeth who died and learns that her life was different than it seemed.
The George Washington Bridge has never been anything but strong and beautiful, its arches monumental, cables thin and high. Kate watched them spindling like ribs past the car window as her husband drove eastbound across the span. It was a testimony to optimism, a suspension bridge, each far-fetched plate, truss, and girder an act of faith against gravity and good sense.


The intro gives a sense of the writing, but I still have no idea what this book is about. I'm guessing it's not about bridges.

Also this week is Teaser Tuesdays.
Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by MizB of Should Be Reading. Anyone can play along!
Open to a random page of your current read and share a teaser sentence from somewhere on that page.
BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS!
Share the title & author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers.
Here's mine from page 61:
That's what it always came down to in the end. The single greatest point of interest about a woman's thirty-eight years was not what she had done, but what she hadn't told anyone she'd done.
Would you keep reading?

7 comments:

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

I'd have to read more, but I'm curious where this is going. enjoy

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

Wow! I have been curious about this book,but now I must read it! Thanks for sharing...and here's
MY TUESDAY MEMES POST

Just Me said...

Yes - I would keep reading based on the description and the journals. It feels memoir-like which is right up my alley.

p.s. Pls don't publish my journals.

Nise' said...

Nope, not about bridges. Hope you enjoy the book.

danasparkle said...

teaser got me. I'd read it. *

Linda said...

I'd finish it.

Delana@dujour said...

Yep, teaser got me. Some day I'm going to write an anonymous blog about that same subject!

Cockadoodle Doo or Cocorico?

 We stood in the middle of the road, having walked together 13 miles that day and Claudine grasped my forearm. "Mais non! It doesn'...