Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Tuesday Intros -- A Star for Mrs. Blake


Every Tuesday, Diane at Bibliophile by the Sea posts the first paragraph of her current read. Anyone can join in. Go to Diane's website for the image and share the first paragraph of the current book you are reading.

I've started giving away books set in France, as you can see by the post on the right side of my blog, and as I looked through books, I found one that I hadn't read. It's called A Star for Mrs. Blake by April Smith and I won it in a giveaway. The book, set in 1931, focuses on five women, gold-star mothers whose sons died in World War I, who travel together to the American Cemetery in France.
Cora Blake was certainly not planning on going to Paris that spring. Or ever in her lifetime. She was the librarian in a small town on the tip of an island off the coast of  Maine, which didn't mean she'd never traveled. She did spend two years at Colby College in Waterville and visited family in Portland, went to Arizona once, and if you counted yachting, knew most of the New England coast. Her mother had been the great adventurer, married to a sea captain who'd taken her all around the world. Cora was born off the coast of Rio de Janeiro, which might account for her venturesome spirit, but now she roamed only in books. Summer people from North Carolina and Boston would stop by the quaint old library building to chat, and wonder how she could stand to live in such a tiny place with those terrible winters.
"I have everything I want right on the island," she'd say. "We're so off the beaten path, you've got to be satisfied with the way it is."
 I'm not crazy about this opening, but I'll give the book a chance. Any novel that takes me to France might win my heart.

7 comments:

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

I am intrigued by this character, as I can relate in some way....visiting places via books. Thanks for sharing...and for visiting my blog.

Margot said...

I like it - the voice of the narrator. In one paragraph I'm already with her. I want to read more.

Kay said...

Oh, I love the beginning...any book that talks about a library and a librarian who travels through her books - right down my alley. I'm pretty sure I've seen this book at my library too and haven't picked it up. I think I'll do that the next time I'm in there.

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

Portland, Maine is a very hip city - love visiting. I liked that intro so I'd probably continue - nice pick.

Literary Feline said...

I actually like the beginning of this one and the premise sounds interesting. The tie-in to World War I and mothers who have lost their sons in war. I would definitely want to continue.

grammajudyb said...

I am interested in what could cause this librarian to travel to Paris. I'd read more. Thanks for sharing.

Mystica said...

I have a feeling the librarian is going to break out of her rut! Go globe trotting. I'd like to read this one.

Cockadoodle Doo or Cocorico?

 We stood in the middle of the road, having walked together 13 miles that day and Claudine grasped my forearm. "Mais non! It doesn'...