Tuesday, June 02, 2015

Tuesday Intros -- Missoula

Every Tuesday, Diane at Bibliophile by the Sea posts the first paragraph of her current read. Anyone can join in. Go to Diane's website for the image and share the first paragraph of the current book you are reading.
Mostly, I read fiction, but I've always loved Jon Krakauer's gritty journalism-type writing in Into Thin Air and Under the Banner of Heaven, so when I heard about his latest book, Missoula Rape and the
Justice System in a College Town, I figured I should read it. I also have a book idea that I'm playing with that has to do with rape, well a woman who decides to make a difference in the world by eradicating rape, so reading Krakauer's book is like doing research
Here's the intro:
Office Solutions & Services, a Missoula office-products company, didn't have its 2011 Christmas party until January 6, 2012. As a counterpoint to the chilly Montana evening, the staff decorated the place in a Hawaiian motif. Around 9:00 p.m., thirty or forty people -- employees and their families, mostly -- were chatting, playing party games, and sipping beverages from red plastic cups in a room overlooking the parking lot when a shiny Chrysler 300 sedan pulled up and rolled to a stop in front of the floor-to-ceiling windows, attracting the attention of the revelers. Two well-dressed men with dour expressions got out of the vehicle and stood beside it. "It was a really nice black car," recalls Kevin Huguet, the owner of Office Solutions. 
 I look forward to seeing what everyone else is reading.

6 comments:

JoAnn said...

I really liked Into Thin Air and Under the Banner of Heaven, too, and hope to read Missoula soon. Great choice!

Kay said...

I loved Into Thin Air and have meant to read more by this author. I actually have this on audio and hope to listen to it at some point. I think I'll have to pick my time carefully. I know it will make me mad. :-)

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

I haven't read this author yet, but I am now very curious as to what happens next....after that beginning.

Here's mine: “MY SUNSHINE AWAY”

Literary Feline said...

I like Jon Krakauer's books too, and this is one I am definitely interested in reading, not just because of the author but because of the subject matter as well.

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

I would definitely read more -- great author and I the mood for non fiction too.

Margot said...

I'd keep reading. I really want to know what's going to happen next.

Cockadoodle Doo or Cocorico?

 We stood in the middle of the road, having walked together 13 miles that day and Claudine grasped my forearm. "Mais non! It doesn'...