Tuesday, June 09, 2015

Tuesday Intros -- Act of God

Every Tuesday, Diane at Bibliophile by the Sea posts the first paragraph of her current read. Anyone can join in. Go to Diane's website for the image and share the first paragraph of the current book you are reading.
I'm not sure why this little book, Act of God by Jill Ciment, appealed to me, but I hope it's good. Here's the intro:
The twins suspected it was alive, but they weren't exactly sure if it was plant or animal.
Edith, white-haired and older by seventeen minutes, went to find a flashlight while Kat,
blond with white roots, knelt to take a closer look. A small phosphorescent organism, about as bright and arresting as a firely's glow, bloomed in the seam of the hall closet. It almost looked as if someone had chewed a piece of iridescence and stuck it, like gum, on the wall. But it wasn't inanimate like gum; its surface was roiling as if something beneath were struggling to be born. Kat tried to call Edith back to be assured that she wasn't imagining things, but Kat was struck dumb. A swell rose out of the glow until the head of whatever was fighting to get born pushed through, a fleshy bud, about the size of a newborn's thumb. Kat gasped. Her breath must have disturbed the new life, or awakened it, because a puff of spores sprayed out, luminous and ephemeral as glitter. The closet housed their mother's archives, the original letters from her advice column, the earliest dating back to the nineteen fifties, when Consultations with Dr. Mimi was first syndicated. All they needed was for spores to land on one of the file boxes and start feasting on the invaluable old papers inside. 
I look forward to seeing what everyone else is reading.

9 comments:

Vicki said...

Now that's different! I'd keep reading to see what they were.

Kay said...

Oh my goodness. How very odd and intriguing. Yep, I'd read on. LOL

Juli Rahel said...

Ooh that beginning is definitely appealing to me. It's got some amazing description and the whole premise is fascinating! I'm putting this one on my TBR list right now! Thanks for sharing :) I hope you have a great week!
My Tuesday post
Juli @ Universe in Words

Beth F said...

I'm always drawn to books about twins, so I'd read some more.

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

Oh, wow, that snippet gripped me and wouldn't let go! Now I have to know more....thanks for sharing.

Here's mine: “THE CRY”

Literary Feline said...

How interesting! I want to know what it is too! I would keep reading.

Sandra Nachlinger said...

I'm definitely intrigued by that opening! What could it be? I'd have to keep reading to find out.
My Tuesday post features The Chair.

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

I would have never expected this intro from this book -- very different and on my wishlist. I'd read more. enjoy and i love the cover too.

grammajudyb said...

I would read more too. It's a bit weird though. The cover is amazing and I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Cockadoodle Doo or Cocorico?

 We stood in the middle of the road, having walked together 13 miles that day and Claudine grasped my forearm. "Mais non! It doesn'...