Sunday, June 07, 2015

Dreaming of France -- A Step Toward France


Please join this weekly meme. Grab a copy of the photo above and link back to An Accidental Blog. Share with the rest of us your passion for France. Did you read a good book set in France? See a movie? Take a photo in France? Have an adventure? Eat a fabulous meal or even just a pastry? Or if you're in France now, go ahead and lord it over the rest of us. We can take it.

Last week, I had an epiphany. I teach English at American universities. I could probably teach English at French universities.
I talked it over with Earl, and he said I should give it a shot. If I got a job in France, he'd continue with his job here so that the whole family could have health insurance and we could get the boys through college.
So I set to work creating a resume and cover letter in French, or as the French call it, a CV and lettre de motivation.
Luckily, I had some friends to turn to for help. Delana, who is American and moved to Aix en Provence about five years ago, sent me copies of her French resume and letter. I was able to follow the format to create my own.
Then I called on Linda from Frenchless in France, and she asked her husband Maurice to proofread the letter and resume. He helped change the format some and corrected my abysmal French mistakes.
Before you knew it, I was at the post office, paying $26 to mail my letter to France. I've applied for three university jobs to teach English. Who knows if anything will come of it, but it gives me a few weeks of hope.
Here's a smidgen of my French CV:
Objectif 
Enseigner l’anglais dans une université française. Ma langue maternelle est l'anglais et j'ai une connaissance de base du français.
If I'm writing my blog from France in September, you'll know that I got a job. 
Thanks for playing along with Dreaming of France. Please leave a comment and visit each other's blogs, too, so you can get your fix of France dreams.

8 comments:

Esme said...

that would be fun. I would come and visit you.

Sim Carter said...

I'm thrilled for you Paulita! I'll keep good vibrations going here on the west coast! Such an awesome first step; you'll be living your dream!

Just Me said...

Absolutely perfect and it uses all your life experiences to this point so you know it was meant to be.

Sally Tharpe Rowles said...

Oh my gosh that is so exciting!!! I can't believe you hadn't thought of this before. I will keep my fingers crossed for you for sure! Your French must be really good to be able to write a resume in French. I am impressed, I know I could do it. Good luck!

Jacqui Brown said...

Best of luck. Here's hoping for exciting times ahead.

Leovi said...

Yes, I wish him good luck in his new project to teach English in France, gorgeous !!

Anne in Oxfordshire said...

Wow Paulita , now that would be fascinating if it works out. Yes your French must be amazing. I could visit you , could get the train over !! We call it a CV too !!Good Luck , fingers crossed.

Louise said...

Oh WOW! How wondrous that would be. Bonne chance!

Cockadoodle Doo or Cocorico?

 We stood in the middle of the road, having walked together 13 miles that day and Claudine grasped my forearm. "Mais non! It doesn'...