Tuesday, July 22, 2014

First Paragraph -- Gone Girl

Every Tuesday, Diane at Bibliophile by the Sea posts the first paragraph of her current read. Anyone can join in. Go to Diane's website for the image and share the first paragraph of the current book you are reading.
Everyone has already read Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn, right?
I hadn't. I was afraid it would be too graphic, too bloody or something. I was wrong. I got captured by it and stayed up late into the night reading it, which is rare for me.
Here's the intro:
When I think of my wife, I always think of h er head. The shape of it, to begin with. The very first time I saw her, it was the back of the head I saw, and there was something lovely about it, the angles of it. Like a shiny, hard corn kernel or a riverbed fossil. She had what the Victorians would call a finely shaped head. You could imagine the skull quite easily. 
This book was a psychological thriller. And it definitely had me going in the wrong direction. It's funny that I haven't even heard many people giving away the twist in the book, which isn't at the end necessarily. The only part that felt unsatisfying to me was the end because it didn't wrap up everything. But I definitely love the mind games throughout.

9 comments:

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

Oh, yes, loved the mind games...and how the author misdirected us repeatedly. And then surprised us.

Thanks for sharing...and here's mine: “ KATWALK”

Faith Hope and Cherrytea said...

too creepy thinking of the opening description.. glad you enjoyed your reading time!
Mine Paris reading intro's here

Sarah Mortimer said...

Definitely! I have this on my kindle to read at some point. I love Flynn's writing style. I enjoyed her other two books.

kayerj said...

this sounds like a very interesting book. I like a book that challenges the mind, but I hate a book that doesn't wrap up. thanks for sharing today. kelley—the road goes ever ever on

Maya Love said...

I have the paperback on my shelf but haven't read it yet. Great opener.

Anonymous said...

I am in the minority of folks who read it and didn't enjoy it that much, but please, that is just me. Many loved it, so enjoy reading it!

Literary Feline said...

I really enjoyed this one too, even though I wasn't surprised by any of the twists. I can't wait to see the movie!

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

I'm proud of you for reading outside of your comfort zone...LOL
I didn't like this as much as everyone else, but I love the intro:)

Unknown said...

Book recommended by family so i bought it. Enjoyed reading but ending was not what I expected.
These two people really deserved each other for he being so stupid and she being so uncaring.

Mica
Best Reviews for Bear Tours Day Trips website

Cockadoodle Doo or Cocorico?

 We stood in the middle of the road, having walked together 13 miles that day and Claudine grasped my forearm. "Mais non! It doesn'...