Sunday, July 12, 2015

Dreaming of France -- Paris, He Said


Please join this weekly meme. Grab a copy of the photo above and link back to An Accidental Blog. Share with the rest of us your passion for France. Did you read a good book set in France? See a movie? Take a photo in France? Have an adventure? Eat a fabulous meal or even just a pastry? Or if you're in France now, go ahead and lord it over the rest of us. We can take it.

One reason that I started writing novels set in France was because I could find so few. After I'd fallen in love with A Year in Provence, I wanted to read more about the thrill of living in France.
Since then, many books set in France have arrived on the scene. Some of them are terrific, other are mediocre, and others, I didn't even finish.
Recently, I found Paris, He Said by Christine Sneed, which just came out this year.
The novel features Jayne Marks who lives in Manhattan and wants to be a painter. Her older lover owns galleries in New York and Paris, so Jayne jumps at the chance to move to Paris and focus on her painting.
"Six weeks will give you enough time to prepare, I hope," he said.
A moment later he added, "Please understand that I am not proposing marriage. But I do not want you to bring home other men. You are with me, yes?"
"I am," she said, surprised. "I wouldn't think of bringing home another man. I'm not like that."
He held her gaze, trying to suppress a smile. "You say that now, but it isn't impossible that you will changes your mind. Beautiful women often change their minds. I have seen it happen more than once."
Did it happen to you with someone else? she wondered, but didn't ask. Did he really think that her desires and allegiances could mutate so quickly? Maybe he thought this of all women. "What about you? she asked. "Are you going to bring home other women if we're living together?"
Or men? But she didn't think he slept with men.
"No," he said. "No question. But what you do and what I do outside of the apartment, that is not for the other person to worry over. All right?"
Well, that's intriguing. I don't think we're in Kansas anymore.

Now that Jayne lived in Paris, she could see these monuments every day if she walked southeast from the apartment toward the Seine. Whenever she did, she would pause to watch the river traffic, the sound of boats and rushing water filling her with an unaccountable surge of hopefulness. From the north end of the Pont Alexandre III, she could look across the swift, murky river to the immense golden cupola of the Hotel des Invalides, Napoleon's remains interred beneath it.   
I'll let you know if I enjoy this one.
Hope you all have something beautiful to help you dream of France.
Thanks for playing along with Dreaming of France. Please leave a comment and visit each other's blogs, too, so you can get your fix of France dreams.
I'm also connecting with Paris in July. Since this book is set in Paris, parfait!


7 comments:

Sim Carter said...

That DOES sound intriguing! Perhaps Paris won't turn out to be quite what she expected, eh? Speaking of which, how's your Parisian planning coming along?
I've got my Dreaming of France post up too; have a great week, my friend. Here's the link: http://bit.ly/1M4Z0nU

Louise said...

I haven't heard of this one, it does sound intriguing- I'll be looking forward to your thoughts.

Sally Tharpe Rowles said...

I am way too excited about your real life plans, whatever they may be, to think about a fictitious life in Paris. Hope the decision making is going well.

Esme said...

I was just wondering if Paris is the most common setting for a book.

Christine Harding said...

Well, I've just read one of Zola's books for Paris in July, and looking at everyone else taking part thought I would link my post here as well - have a little stash of French related books, but I'm not sure I can manage one a week. Hope that's OK.

Teddyree said...

hmm will wait for your thoughts on that one but I'm adding A Year in Provence to my groaning TBR pile :)

Christine Harding said...

Me again... Fun and frivolity with a colouring book!

Cockadoodle Doo or Cocorico?

 We stood in the middle of the road, having walked together 13 miles that day and Claudine grasped my forearm. "Mais non! It doesn'...