Sunday, July 05, 2015

Dreaming of France -- Elaborately Painted Building


Please join this weekly meme. Grab a copy of the photo above and link back to An Accidental Blog. Share with the rest of us your passion for France. Did you read a good book set in France? See a movie? Take a photo in France? Have an adventure? Eat a fabulous meal or even just a pastry? Or if you're in France now, go ahead and lord it over the rest of us. We can take it.

One good thing about hanging out with photographers is that they have an eye for the unusual.
My husband and I met blogging friend Linda Mathieu and her husband for a drink while we were in Paris. Linda writes and posts her photos at Frenchless in France. She's also a great tour guide, I've heard, and she's written a book  Secrets of a Paris Tour Guide.
We laughed a lot and enjoyed our conversation -- in English. As we left the brasserie, Linda pointed to the top of a building along rue Mouffetarde.
After she pointed it out, I noticed the elaborate painting. But first I only saw the four portraits above the awnings.

On closer look, I saw what drew Linda's eye, the elaborate gold vines, leaves, birds, boar, pig, deer and goat stretching to the roofline of the building. I'm not sure if this would be considered a trompe l'oeil painting or not, and I couldn't find anything about it online.
Imagine the time and attention that painting must have taken. And how many times has someone climbed on scaffolding to restore that painting throughout the centuries?
Hope you all have something beautiful to help you dream of France.
Thanks for playing along with Dreaming of France. Please leave a comment and visit each other's blogs, too, so you can get your fix of France dreams.
I almost forgot about Paris in July, which started, obviously, in July. So I'm going to play along with them too. 


12 comments:

Faith Hope and Cherrytea said...

so different than our modern box architecture...
amazing opp to be surrounded by creativity , I'd be on inspired overload!!
thanks for sharing and visiting FHC for Dreaming of France and #ParisinJuly

Louise said...

It's gorgeous. I've still never made it to Rue Mouffetard- so many things still to do. And how great to have a Parisian meet up.

Sim Carter said...

How extraordinary! They just do things differently in France, don't they?

Anne in Oxfordshire said...

Hello Paulita .. how super that you have also met Linda. As you know I met her in Paris too. Had a fabulous day with her, lovely lady and a great tour guide. I didn't know Linda had written a book though! ! What's funny is that I also have that photo but not seen with Linda, but with Peter who's blog is Peter ' Paris. The same day I met Linda, I also met Peter. Linda had a prior engagement so I met him onl my own , outside the Pantheon and he took me down Rue Mouffetarde . He showed me lots of Street Art and all the delights he knew about. Lovely gentleman. We chatted about everything Paris - Formula 1., Had an amazing day. Big thanks to Linda and Peter.

Sally Tharpe Rowles said...

Beautiful! I always like to see what other photographers are looking at & just what catches their eye. Often I find that we have taken similar if not almost the same photo.

Diane said...

Fabulous building. It always pays to look up, so many things out of normal view. Have a good day Diane

Esme said...

That building is gorgeous.

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

I'm certainly dreaming of France this month. It's my five year anniversary of my trip there!

Lovely building!

Here's my Paris in July post!

Leovi said...

Wonderful facade, a true work of art!

Jeanie said...

I'm going to join you too! And this is indeed a splendid building. Sounds like one not to miss -- especially if our company is as good as yours!

Linda said...

Well, next time we will have to do a tour! So much to see in Paris. I'm so glad I got to meet you and your husband.

Teddyree said...

Such beautiful artwork and what a lovely surprise, it definitely pays to look up. And awesome to meet up with a blogging friend. I'm hoping to stay Air B&B when we next holiday in France, maybe we will get to meet if your plans come to fruition!

Cockadoodle Doo or Cocorico?

 We stood in the middle of the road, having walked together 13 miles that day and Claudine grasped my forearm. "Mais non! It doesn'...