Sunday, August 31, 2014

Dreaming of France -- Playtime in France

Please join this weekly meme. Grab a copy of the photo above and link back to An Accidental Blog. Share with the rest of us your passion for France. Did you read a good book set in France? See a movie? Take a photo in France? Have an adventure? Eat a fabulous meal or even just a pastry? Or if you're in France now, go ahead and lord it over the rest of us. We can take it.
Labor Day weekend, when many of us have an extra day off work, is a perfect time to think about playing, but in France, they play very differently than we do. I'm talking about boules, of course, known as petanque in the south of France. I can't think of a sport in the United States that happens in the center of town and that people can join when they show up. Maybe the tradition of playing boules is similar to joining a game of pool  or darts in a bar or finding a game chess at one of those big New York City parks. Still, it's intriguing to think of people coming together, whether friends or strangers, each day to play a minimally athletic game.
My husband snapped some pictures of a game last time he was in Paris.
Do they have to stand in the circle when they throw?
Here's a close up of one of the balls in the dusty court. 
And here's a shot of the whole field or court, or whatever they call it. Lots of action going on here.
Have you ever played boules? I don't see many women playing it.
Thanks for playing along with Dreaming of France today. I hope you'll visit each others blogs to see other moments in France.
I'll try to be more active on my blog this week. I have so many posts I think about writing but just haven't sat down to do it.

4 comments:

Sally Tharpe Rowles said...

Yes, this is such a French pastime.....every town or village has a space for it.

Vicki Lesage said...

It's totally an old man's game but I love it :)

Sim Carter said...

Is Petanque anything like Bocce ball, the Italian game?
They look a little similar although I'm sure players of both games would disagree. I have a feeling though, both are 'an old man's game'.

Louise said...

I have played petanque- but in my own backyard, never in a Paris park- I'd like to give it a go there, but it only ever seems to be men playing.

Cockadoodle Doo or Cocorico?

 We stood in the middle of the road, having walked together 13 miles that day and Claudine grasped my forearm. "Mais non! It doesn'...