Tuesday, May 20, 2014

First Paragraph, Tuesday Teaser -- Don't Want to Miss a Thing

Every Tuesday, Diane at Bibliophile by the Sea posts the first paragraph of her current read. Anyone can join in. Go to Diane's website for the image and share the first paragraph of the current book you are reading.
This is one of those weeks with the potential for high stress. My youngest graduates from high school on Sunday and we are holding his graduation party on Friday evening. It's a joint party with another friend, but it's at our house, which is why I spent two hours cleaning the refrigerator yesterday. I'm bad at hosting parties. I have a new friend who claims she is going to show up and make me take shots to make me enjoy the party. Where is she the week leading up to the party?
So, I need some totally escapist reading and I know where to turn for that. I'm starting Don't Want To Miss A Thing by Jill Mansell. Here's the intro:
It was almost midnight and Dexter Yates was in bed with his girlfriend when his phone burst into life. Possessed of lightning reflexes, she grabbed it off the bedside table before he could reach it himself.
Honestly, some people were so mistrustful.
Also this week  is Teaser Tuesdays. Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by MizB of Should Be Reading. Anyone can play along! Open to a random page of your current read  and share a teaser sentence from somewhere on that page. BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! Share the title & author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teaser.
Here's my teaser from page 23:
"So the first place was too noisy," Alice announced as they drove into Briarwood. "And the second was too...?"
"Wrong in every conceivable way." Dex slowed down as they passed the ivy-clad pub on the left. That was something else he'd have to check out; no point moving into a village with a rubbish pub. 
I know that Mansell's books will sail me away to Great Britain and the characters will get all in a muddle. It's perfect reading for my potentially stressful week.

15 comments:

kayerj said...

I'm not a fan of this author so I probably wouldn't read it, but I hope you enjoy your book. kelley—the road goes ever ever on

Faith Hope and Cherrytea said...

i like chick lit for reading breaks too - not a fan of mansell, but know the need for lite reading!

JoAnn said...

I need to try one of Jill Mansell's books.

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

I have yet to read this author, but now I'm intrigued. Thanks for sharing. And enjoy the graduation!

Here's mine: “EYES ON YOU”

Alice Audrey said...

Wait. He's ok with his girlfriend being that pushy? I don't even touch my dh's phone if I can help it.

I did a teaser too.

http://www.aliceaudrey.com/?p=11403

Unknown said...

Nice teaser! This author is new to me, sounds interesting. Hope you enjoy it :)

My TT
Alma @ Journey Through Fiction

Unknown said...

Sounds good. Enjoy your book and your party. Congratulations on your son's graduation!

gautami tripathy said...

I haven't read this author....I suppose I should check her out!

Here is my Intro post!

AND

Here is my teaser post!

Cleopatra Loves Books said...

I like this teaser and can't agree more in that there is no point moving to a village with a rubbish pub. Enjoy your party, no-one cares about your fridge ;-) Here is my TT http://cleopatralovesbooks.wordpress.com/2014/05/20/teaser-tuesday-may-20/

Literary Feline said...

Sounds like we are in a similar place--in need of lighter reading fare!

I hope everything goes well with the graduation party! Congratulations to your son!

Nise' said...

Definitely a great escape read! Have a great party. Congrats to your son.

Unknown said...

I liked the intro, it was cute. Here’s my teaser for Steel’s Edge.

Anonymous said...

Great teaser! Sounds like a good read. Here is my TT http://cynthiastacey.com/2014/05/20/teaser-tuesday-may-20/

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

It was a fun intro, but not my cuppa sadly:( Happy u joined us again this week. Thank you

Just Me said...

Good luck this week. Everything will be fabulous.

Cockadoodle Doo or Cocorico?

 We stood in the middle of the road, having walked together 13 miles that day and Claudine grasped my forearm. "Mais non! It doesn'...