Thursday, May 03, 2012

Barefoot

My poor feet. I know I expect a lot out of them. I take them for granted most of the time, and right now, they are getting their revenge.
I went to the doctor last week to have plantar's warts frozen off my left foot. The doctor took a knife to my calluses before she could get to the warts. Then she looked at my right foot and started peeling away at a callus that had formed a sharp point. As we talked about the excruciating pain in my right foot, that only shows up a couple of times a day, she poked and prodded. She narrowed it down to a place right above my big toe joint. Probably a stress fracture, she said. "We could xray, but they don't always show up and then we'd have to treat it the same way anyway. Stay off it."
So, with her advice ringing in my ears, I first determined to get a good pedicure and some new running shoes. I'm pretty sure my running shoes messed up my foot since they had "a little correction" in them, which I could use in my left foot, but not in my right foot.
Then, as the excruciating pain showed up every time I slipped my foot in a shoe, I decided that maybe I should do something radical, like stop running for awhile.
My definition of staying off it, might be different than my doctor's definition. I'm still walking a lot of places, and since I can't run, I started doing P90X every day. The difference is, I can do P90X barefoot, and I feel like that will help my foot. As a matter of fact, I spend most of my day barefoot now, trying to help my foot heal.
When I go walking, I wear my Mary Jane crocs, which don't really touch my foot anywhere except the sole. For teaching, I've decided to go with a pair of Birkenstocks, again, mostly just protecting the sole of my foot. I'm hoping the return to nature will help my foot heal more quickly.
But I do miss those morning runs, listening to the birds and watching the sun slowly rise above the city.

3 comments:

judi said...

*like*

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

Hope those pigs feel better soon.

I was bothered by heel spurs last year, and was told to not always wear flats, wear different shoes every other day -- did it and soon I was pain free:)

Anonymous said...

I had a sudden onset of pain in my left foot. It is located on the bottom of my foot
towards the right side just under the balls of my feet.
I have not injured it or worn high heels all day. This is a throbbing
pain that hurts the most with bearing weight. It also feels like a knot or
swollen area as I step down onto it. My Dad has gout but i've read it affects mostly men. Can I have it? Help!.
Feel free to surf my site : common feet problems

Cockadoodle Doo or Cocorico?

 We stood in the middle of the road, having walked together 13 miles that day and Claudine grasped my forearm. "Mais non! It doesn'...