Tuesday, July 12, 2011

FIrst Paragraph Tuesday -- Bossypants


Every Tuesday, Diane at Bibliophile by the Sea posts the first paragraph of her current read. Anyone can join in. Go to Diane's website for the image and share the first paragraph of the current book you are reading.
This week I've started Tina Fey's Bossypants. Here's the first paragraph after the introduction:
My brother is eight years old that I am. I was a big surprise. A wonderful surprise, my mom would be quick to tell you. ALthough having a baby at forty is a commonplace fool's errand these days, back in 1970 it was pretty unheard-of. Women around my mom's office referred to her pregnancy as "Mrs. Fey and her change-of-life baby." When I was born I was fussed over and doted on, and my brother has always looked out for me like a third parent.

I was excited to start this book because I think Tina Fey is hilarious. The book is a little bland though. Some parts I can hear her voice and picture her saying them, which adds to the fun. Others, well, it might be like me writing my biography. Not that many people will be interested.
What do you think? Have you read it? Are you going to?

3 comments:

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

Well, although the first paragraph doesn't grab me, I WOULD read this book as I love Tina Fey. (I'm on the holds list for the audio at the library.

Hope u enjoy this one.

judifreud said...

i LOVED reading this book. my kids gave it to me for mother's day. it is poignant in places, funny in others, and sort of thoughtful in-between. i heartily recommend it for all tina fey fans.

Bethany said...

I haven't read it yet, but it's on my list! There are too many good books out there :)

Cockadoodle Doo or Cocorico?

 We stood in the middle of the road, having walked together 13 miles that day and Claudine grasped my forearm. "Mais non! It doesn'...