Tuesday, March 24, 2020

Beauty in the Midst of Unsettling Times

Quarantine can be a scary time. The slightest tickle in the throat and we're convinced we're coming down with the virus.
One way I have been coping with the quarantine is running most mornings.
Forsythia blooming with the wispy clouds over the mountains
It's a bit of a debate here with some people raging on Facebook that no one should be out.
I have a hard time justifying why I can't go for a solitary run. I usually pass one or two people on the other side of the road, but I'm not spreading the virus to them and they aren't spreading it to me.
In crowded cities, I know this is more of a problem, so I count my blessings that I live in a small town and not many people get out early in the mornings to go for walks or runs.
Apparently, President Macron has now declared that people need to stay within 1 kilometer of their homes and can only go out for an hour, but if I make a big circuit around my house, staying within a kilometer, I can still run 5 or 6 kilometers.
I rounded a corner and saw dark clouds looming and the sun shine peering beneath
Yes, the run gives off endorphins, but the beauty, the stubborn beauty of nature, reminds me that the seasons continue even in the midst of a virus, even in the midst of a quarantine.
I climbed on a rock to get this picture of the bridge into our town. You can see that there are no cars on it. 
The mountains, the clouds, the blue sky give me respite in this time of turmoil. And it reminds me to be thankful for the air in my lungs and the strength of my legs.
Stay safe and be on the lookout for the beauty around you.


6 comments:

Marg said...

Being grateful will definitely help us get through this

sillygirl said...

Here outside of Seattle - in fact in notorious Kirkland - I take my walk every day. I hope there aren't restrictions on where I can walk because mine is 5 miles away and I have done it solo for years. I think at this time it helps people to see me on my regular route and there is plenty of room to pass a few people by many feet away.

Kiwi said...

Gorgeous photo of your river and the old bridge. Thanks for climbing the rock for us! Air quality in Paris is the best it has been in 40 years with almost no traffic. We can walk the dog in the middle of the street, and having the city quiet enough to hear birdsong is a nice change. Blue skies and sun this week make me miss friends, the parks and cafés all the more though. Wishing good health, patience and peace of mind for you, your family, and all your readers.

Just Me said...

Breath taking

Jeanie said...

Headed for my walk soon. At least we are still allowed out. I'm glad you can run.

Stay well, Paulita.

Paulita said...

Marg, Yes, working on gratitude.
Sillygirl, It's so fabulous to get outside. Here in France, we wouldn't be allowed to drive someplace and walk. We have to stay within 1 kilometer of our homes. The police stop cars and check your papers.
Kiwi, Stay safe in Paris. I know that it's harder to avoid people in a big city.
Just Me, You too. Has anyone gotten sick at work?
Jeanie, So glad that you can still walk too.
Deb, Thanks for reading and commenting. Hope you are well.

Cockadoodle Doo or Cocorico?

 We stood in the middle of the road, having walked together 13 miles that day and Claudine grasped my forearm. "Mais non! It doesn'...