Saturday, March 07, 2020

My Morning at the Market

Saturday morning is one of the market days in Quillan and although I’ve been home for nearly two weeks, I hadn’t had a chance to shop at the market, being preoccupied with work.
This morning, Earl was working on the house, so I ventured out alone. Here’s my haul this morning. 
This should get us through the weekend.
My first stop was the butcher
We're having friends for dinner tomorrow so I bought 4 entrecote
Next the fruit and vegetable stand
Pears, clementines, carrots and courgettes (zucchini)
The woman at the vegetable stand often gives us free herbs or a lemon as we check out. That lemon in the corner by the pears was a freebie. This pile of fruit and vegetables cost me 4.80 euros. So much cheaper than what I would pay in the grocery in the States. 

From the cheese stall. 
Next I picked up a small Camembert cheese, brebis or sheep's milk cheese.
I had to stop at the bakery, of course. They didn't have my favorite pastry, chausson framboise, a raspberry turnover, so I got a muffin instead. The French pronounce it "mufeen." This is a red fruit muffin. I got Earl a Jesuite, one of his favorite treats which has a licorice flavor. Not something I like. The baker is going on his required vacation for two weeks (congé) starting Monday, so we need to stock up on our favorites. 
Quiche for lunch, pastries for breakfast
Finally, I went to the coffee truck, where the young Frenchman who runs it is celebrating a year in business. He makes me a white mocha even though it is no longer on the menu.
My carry out cup
The truck has become quite popular, even with the French who don't walk around with coffee to go. He is opening a second truck this spring.
I returned home to eat my quiche and begin teaching again. When I finish teaching around 2, I'll join other townspeople in a clean up along the river where flooding left trash.
I figure if I'm going to enjoy the views, I better help take care of the place.
Hope you all have a relaxing weekend. 

3 comments:

Anne in Oxfordshire said...

And the French know how to do markets. Even in the smallest places. Fabulous. I don't do coffee to go either. Well I do but take it to work to drink. I don't walk round with it. I don't get it. I want to enjoy my coffee lots of Brits walk round eating. I don't do that either. Enjoy your meal with yourfriends x

Paulita said...

Anne, I do enjoy sitting down and having coffee, but I also like to walk and drink coffee. There isn't coffee to go in most places in France. I was hurrying home to teach one morning and stopped at a coffee shop, asking if they had "to go" cups. They gave it to me in a plastic cup that I think was melting as I walked home.

Kiwi said...

Beautiful photo of your market haul. Even the green edging on the coffee cup matches the pears!

Cockadoodle Doo or Cocorico?

 We stood in the middle of the road, having walked together 13 miles that day and Claudine grasped my forearm. "Mais non! It doesn'...