Monday, October 24, 2016

Dreaming of France -- Cafes

Thank you for joining this weekly meme. Grab a copy of the photo above and link back to An Accidental Blog. Share with the rest of us your passion for France. Did you read a good book set in France? See a movie? Take a photo in France? Have an adventure? Eat a fabulous meal or even just a pastry? Or if you're in France now, go ahead and lord it over the rest of us. We can take it.

I forgot to post Dreaming of France Sunday evening, but that doesn't mean I wasn't dreaming. I'm always imagining that day when I get to spend all my evenings in France.
One of the first things we do after we arrive in France and dump our suitcases at the hotel is find a cafe.

And later in the day, if our energy is waning, we find another cafe for a quick espresso, although in French, they might call it an expresso. 


You might say we embrace the cafe lifestyle when we're in France, especially Paris. 
Hope you are all dreaming about France, or living it.

Thanks so much for playing along with Dreaming of France today. Please leave your name and blog address in Mr. Linky below, and leave a comment letting me know what  you think about my love affair with France, or your own passion for the country and its people and cultures. Also consider visiting the blogs of others who play along so we can all share the love.


12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm always dreaming about France!
Books take me there every day!
Hope you enjoy my quick-scan of
new books Rentrée littéraire 2016!
I hope a few of books read....win some prizes.

Anonymous said...

If I may ask...could you recommend a hotel in Paris
that you stayed at? I would love to visit Paris again soon
and can use some help with my plans!
Perhaps there are others who read this blog who have a
hotel suggestion for me?
Merci, trés sympa.

Suzie Tullett said...

Hopefully you'll come and see all of us here in France soon, Paulita x

Suzie Tullett said...

Hopefully you'll come and see all of us here in France soon, Paulita x

Anonymous said...

For some reason, in the south they call it a café crème instead of café au lait (and a pain au chocolat is a chocolatine). And you can just say "un crème," which sounds wrong because "crème" is feminine, but you are talking about café (masculine) rather than the adjective (crème). One of those quirks.
Also, a noisette (also un, even though noisette is feminine) refers to a coffee with a dollop of milk (the noisette). If you think you are ordering a hazelnut coffee, you will be disappointed.
For Paris hotels, I recommend l'Hôtel des Grandes Écoles in the 5th. Charming, clean and quiet. One of the few places in Paris you wake up to birds singing and not garbage trucks banging.

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for hotel suggestion!

In Ivan Jablonka's Au commencement du septième jour....
I found this: '...un café serré'
I think it means a strong cup up coffee.
Am I correct?

Esme said...

Now you have my longing for a French cafe.

Sim Carter said...

There are a few lovely French cafes in my Los Angeles neighborhood but at the end of the day, there's nothing like being there. One of these days!

Jeanie said...

I loved the French cafes. And this post reminds me of how very much I loved each and every one!

Philippe F. said...

Noël est dans 2 mois, puis la nouvelle année 2017 qui verra votre rêve de France se préciser. Petit à petit le décompte des jours avant votre départ va s' accélérer ! Bientôt, au petit déjeuner, vous pourrez prendre une tasse de café et des croissants chauds à une terrasse de café. A Paris ou à Carcassonne ( Languedoc-Roussillon )! C' est le scenario idéal que je vous souhaite Paulita. Votre passion française est si grande que rien ne pourra vous empêcher de le vivre semble t' il.// Christmas is 2 months away then year 2017 which will see your dream of France becoming clearer.Little by little the countdown is going to get speed before your departure! Soon at breakfast you can drink a coffee with warm croissants in a café terrace. A Paris...ou à Carcassonne ( in Languedoc-Roussillon )!That's the ideal scenario I wish you Paulita.Your love affair with France is so big as nothing can prevent you from living it.

Paulita said...

Thanks to everyone for playing along with Dreaming of France and for commenting.
Ipsofactodotme, We have stayed at a simple hotel in the 5th arrondisement, close to the Latin Quarter and within walking distance of the Luxembourg Gardens. It's also near bus and metro lines. Here's the website: http://www.hotelsunny.com/en/
Francetaste, Yes, in Paris they now call it cafe creme too instead of cafe au lait (excuse my lack of accent marks). But the little cup of espresso is called expresso. I'm sure there's an adorable reason behind that name.
Jeannie, So glad you stopped by so that I could make you long for French cafes.
Philippe, Yes, you're right, the days are definitely counting down. Thanks for helping me practice my French, and you're English is excellent.

our life in france said...

We have never been to Paris but one day maybe...I love the coffee they make in the cafes and over the years I have mastered it a la maison due to asking each place how they make it..strangely a few of them have used Italien

Cockadoodle Doo or Cocorico?

 We stood in the middle of the road, having walked together 13 miles that day and Claudine grasped my forearm. "Mais non! It doesn'...