Sunday, December 16, 2012

Christmas Tree Hopes Dim

We don't have a Christmas tree yet. Things are different this year with two kids at college, one of whom won't be home until next Friday.
We had decided to get the tree Sunday morning with our two boys. Spencer came home from college on Friday. Because of Tucker's high school schedule and Earl's work schedule, this is our last opportunity to get all four of us together to choose a tree until next Friday, Dec. 21.
I told the boys we were going Sunday morning to get a tree. They are forewarned.
Here's where things get tricky. Spencer has yet to come home from a campus party at Ohio State that he attended last night. I last heard from him about 4 a.m. when he assured me they were all fine and he had a safe way to get home. I'm assuming he spent the night some place on campus. The clock is ticking on 10:30. Morning is waning.
I don't want to pick out a tree after noon because it will be crowded, so I have a 12 oclock cut off. Tucker meanwhile is still in bed. He's awake, looking up stuff on his phone, but hesistant to get out of bed where the cat is cuddled up to his knees.
"I'm hungry," he said.
"Well, get up," I replied.
Earl has wandered over to the neighbor's house to help her with drain issues.
Meanwhile, I'm having to adjust the plans that I had ordered in my mind. Picking out a tree, taking photos together, stopping for coffee or breakfast.
Maybe Earl and I should go get the tree just the two of us.
The hardest part is changing my expectations, but I know this is only the beginning of changing traditions.
Here's a tree from a previous year. At least the cat appreciated it. We may have to just settle for a photo this year.
Come to think of it, maybe we could go with pictures of presents too. It looks like this was a banner year for us.

3 comments:

Suzie Tullett said...

I hope you manage to get there as a family... if not, you can always insist the kids help you decorate your tree seeing as they couldn't help you choose it.

And I'm sure you'll have a great time with your Christmas preparations regardless x

Anne in Oxfordshire said...

I hope you do manage to get your tree. I totally understand about the boys getting older and expectations .. I personally would go and get the tree with my husband.

I once got the tree with family, but then it became just like you , and it was "just a tree"... to my boys, they had other things they wanted to do.

Take care and Happy Christmas to you x

Just Me said...

I love the cat's admiration.

Cockadoodle Doo or Cocorico?

 We stood in the middle of the road, having walked together 13 miles that day and Claudine grasped my forearm. "Mais non! It doesn'...