Tuesday, February 09, 2016

Tuesday Intros -- Moonlight Over Paris


Every Tuesday, Diane at Bibliophile by the Sea posts the first paragraph of her current read. Anyone can join in. Go to Diane's website for the image and share the first paragraph of the current book you are reading.
I picked up this book after I saw it reviewed on someone else's blog. Of course, it's set in Paris!
Moonlight Over Paris was written by Jennifer Robson. Apparently it's set in post-war France (World War I) and the main character, Lady Helena, after a broken engagement, decides to move in with an aunt in Paris and live a bohemian lifestyle.  Here's the intro:
Helena had heard, or perhaps she had read somewhere, that people on the point of death were insensible to pain. Enveloped in a gentle cloud of perfect tranquility, all earthly cares at an end, they simply floated into oblivion.
It was rubbish, of course, for she was in agony. Pain seized at her throat and ears, so fierce and corrosive that she could sleep only when they drugged her, and even then it chased her from one nightmare to the next. She hurt from her scalp to her fingernails to the soles of her feet,, and despite that very real reminder of her state among the living, she knew the truth, too -- she was dying. 
Although I haven't read any further, I'll give you a spoiler that I think she survives because that's what the book is about.
I look forward to seeing what everyone else is reading.

8 comments:

Kay said...

Oh, I'm pretty sure that I've read that intro - I remember her thinking that she was dying. Since this is twice, I should pick up this book. LOL

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

Wouldn't it be lovely if death were a blissful ride into oblivion? I loved the excerpt and definitely want to know more.

Thanks for sharing...and here is mine: “THE PASSENGER”

Literary Feline said...

My review of this one will be going up Thursday. :-) I hope you enjoy the book! I really like Jennifer Robson's stories.

JoAnn said...

I'd keep reading... this sounds like a good one!

Suzie Quint said...

Very vivid opening. I'd keep reading.

Sandra Nachlinger said...

It's so unusual to read an opening that starts with someone dying! I like the author's description in the opening and would definitely keep reading.
My Tuesday post features THE GIVER.

Nise' said...

A different intro! I'd keep reading.

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

I like the intro; I'd keep reading. Hope you enjoy this one.

Cockadoodle Doo or Cocorico?

 We stood in the middle of the road, having walked together 13 miles that day and Claudine grasped my forearm. "Mais non! It doesn'...