Sunday, February 15, 2015

Dreaming of France -- L'Amour Actually

Please join this weekly meme. Grab a copy of the photo above and link back to An Accidental Blog. Share with the rest of us your passion for France. Did you read a good book set in France? See a movie? Take a photo in France? Have an adventure? Eat a fabulous meal or even just a pastry? Or if you're in France now, go ahead and lord it over the rest of us. We can take it.

I seem to be awash in books set in France. I just finished reading Honeymoon in Paris (twice). Once by Jojo Moyes and once by Juliette Sobanet. And I read That's Paris, an anthology of short stories set in Paris. Now comes L'Amour Actually: Falling in Love in the Heart of France by Melanie Jones. It is one of those British chick-lit books with an accident-prone main character who finds herself in a pickle after leaving London to live in Southwestern France.
She's flighty enough to make Bridget Jones seem sensible, but I'm still enjoying the experience.
Reading books set in France is almost as much fun as visiting.
Here's a snippet that shows part of the culture shock of moving to rural France:
"Well boys," I announced, standing up to leave, "I'd better be getting off. I need to do a bit of shopping then get back for the arrival of the furniture."
"No one will come during lunchtime, this is France," said Julien. "Your delivery men will be in a cafe somewhere having a big lunch and a carafe of wine. And the shop doesn't open until three o'clock either."
"Three o'clock! What am I supposed to do until then? What happens if people can only shop in their lunch break?"
 As I was looking at the Amazon link for this book, I had to chuckle at a bad review that says, "Too much elicit sex in it." Ha! Maybe the reviewer meant explicit, but that's her spelling issue. She made me laugh and didn't put me off downloading the book. I haven't come across any sex yet, elicit or otherwise. Here's the Amazon link.
Thanks for playing along with Dreaming of France today and for leaving a comment. Also remember to check out each other's posts so you can share everyone's musings about France.

5 comments:

Louise said...

How wonderful to be awash in books set in France! And how to fun to be waiting for elicit sex.

Sim Carter said...

Elicit sex? I've got just the ticket:) Here's my Dreaming of France post
http://goo.gl/m3X5nr

Phoebe | Lou Messugo said...

I'm a sucker for all those chick lit books set in France, even though I'm lucky enough to be living on the French Riviera myself! I came across your blog and this link-up as I was doing research for a linky I'm starting #AllAboutFrance myself this week. I hope you might join in, and I'll certainly be back to link-up with yours next time. Mine's only going to be once a month, for now, who knows in the future if it's popular!! You'll find details about my link up if you pop over to my blog. I look forward to gettting to know you more and sharing our love of France.

Sally Tharpe Rowles said...

Lol...I like thinking of you reading all these racy books set in France.

Leovi said...


Very funny book, I love!

Cockadoodle Doo or Cocorico?

 We stood in the middle of the road, having walked together 13 miles that day and Claudine grasped my forearm. "Mais non! It doesn'...