Tuesday, December 09, 2014

Tuesday Intros -- An Age of License, A Travelogue

Every Tuesday, Diane at Bibliophile by the Sea posts the first paragraph of her current read. Anyone can join in. Go to Diane's website for the image and share the first paragraph of the current book you are reading.
I'm busy grading final papers this week, but I'm anticipating lots of time for reading over the next few weeks.
Here's a book I picked up at the library. An Age of License, A Travelogue by Lucy Knisley. The book includes drawings and is in a hand-written font. The publisher calls it "a graphic travelogue and a journal of her trip abroad." She is also the author of French Milk, which I have read. Hope I like this one. Here's the intro:
2011
...was a year of travel! Through coincidence, work, and luck, I was offered opportunities to take trips. I took as many as possible. Recovering from heartbreak, I was determined to spend my travels having adventures and being a free agent. Some trips are more than distance traveled in miles. Sometimes travel can show us how our life is. Or give us a glimpse of how it can be...
Being untethered, I could float away, lifed to a great height where everything is new and I could look back on my life with new perspective, and go, "Oh!"
Here's her plan when she began her travels. Notice that they focus around France.
Apparently, she falls in love right away! Wonder if it'll stick.
I look forward to seeing what everyone else is reading.

6 comments:

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

Oh, that was a beautiful intro...and I love the concept that travel can offer us a glimpse of how our life is, or how it can be.

I have experienced that when I've visited some places. Immersing myself in the setting.

Thanks for sharing...and for visiting my blog.

Sandra Nachlinger said...

What an unusual approach to a travelogue! This sounds like a book I'd enjoy.
My Tuesday post features THE YANKEE CLUB.

JoAnn said...

Knisley has a new book? Hooray!

Nise' said...

Very interesting way this book is presented. Enjoy.

Girl Who Reads said...

I think it would make me want to travel more. Girl Who Reads

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

Almost like a graphic novel....not sure it would be for me though.

Cockadoodle Doo or Cocorico?

 We stood in the middle of the road, having walked together 13 miles that day and Claudine grasped my forearm. "Mais non! It doesn'...