Tuesday, November 05, 2013

First Paragraph,, Tuesday Teaser -- Wolfsangel

Every Tuesday, Diane at Bibliophile by the Sea posts the first paragraph of her current read. Anyone can join in. Go to Diane's website for the image and share the first paragraph of the current book you are reading.
This week I'm starting Wolfsangel by Liza Perrat as part of France Book Tours. I'll be writing a full review on November 16 so come back to see what I think about it. The book, set in rural France, focuses on Celeste Roussel who still feels guilty over her actions during the World War II when she fell in love with a German soldier and had to choose between the conquering army and the French resistance.
Here's the intro:
We gather in the cemetery, before the ossuary, with the straggle of other remaining survivors and their families. Our heads dipped, the mayor begins his memorial speech to commemotrate the tragedy that became a legend around these parts; the evil that part of me still believes was the result of my own reckless actions.

 Also this week is Teaser Tuesdays. Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by MizB of Should Be Reading. Anyone can play along! Open to a random page of your current read  and share a teaser sentence from somewhere on that page. BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! Share the title & author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers.
Here's my teaser from page 4% on my Kindle:

I gave Olivier a small smile of admiration, wishing I too could summon the strength to stand up against my own mother. Like the war that raged across Europe, I ached to flee the smaller-scale battle that had entangled my mother and me for as far back as I could remember. 
I look forward to seeing what everyone else is reading.
Also this week, today is the last day to register to win a copy of the book Wolf Wood by Mike Dixon. Just leave a message here or on last week's Tuesday post to be registered to win a copy.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

cool, 2 books featured on France Book Tours!
looking forward to your review on this one:
http://francebooktours.com/2013/09/04/liza-perrat-on-tour-wolfsangel/

Unknown said...

I like them both! Thanks for sharing!

Literary Feline said...

Wolfsangel sounds like a really good book. I love anything World War II related.

Anonymous said...

It sounds like a great book. That teaser pulls at the heartstrings.

Here is my TT

http://cleopatralovesbooks.wordpress.com/2013/11/05/teaser-tuesday-november-5/

Unknown said...

This sounds very interesting. I'm already curious about the woman and her choice and the guilt she seems to feel.

I hope you enjoy this book. I'm interested in your final review

Lizzy said...

Family conflicts are tough, that's for sure! Great teaser, hope you're enjoying it :)

My Teaser

Harvee said...

They both sound like interesting b books!

Alice Audrey said...

Wars with parents are impossible to avoid. Great teaser.

JoAnn said...

Sounds like a good one. Hope you enjoy it!

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

Both books sound like page-turners...thanks for sharing; and also thanks for visiting my blog.

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

double header - how great. Both are new to me - I would keep reading. thanks for joining us.

Margot said...

I like that first paragraph. It makes me want to know more. What is it this guy has done? It sounds terrible. Yes, I need to read it.

Nise' said...

I like the premise of the novel! Look forward to your thoughts.

kayerj said...

I was hooked with the cover and the intro was captivating. kelley—the road goes ever ever on

Cockadoodle Doo or Cocorico?

 We stood in the middle of the road, having walked together 13 miles that day and Claudine grasped my forearm. "Mais non! It doesn'...