Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Tickled Purple

I picked Tucker up from school as he walked along the sidewalk. Spotting him was easy in his bright purple shirt that he got at a swim meet last month.
He heaved his backpack onto the floor of the car and climbed in. As he buckled he asked, "Did you know today was wear purple to support gay teens day?"
"Oh..." I said. I wasn't sure if he felt happy or dismayed.
"Yeah, and I just got lucky. I didn't plan it or anything," he said.
"So you were okay with wearing purple in support of gay teens?" I asked.
"Of course, why wouldn't I be? It's not like I'm afraid people will think I'm gay. I mean, I'm obviously not."
As much as that boy drives me crazy, sometimes I'm really proud of him.
He isn't afraid to do what he thinks is right and he doesn't spend his first year in high school worrying about what other people think of him.

4 comments:

Linda said...

That's a real accomplishment-not worry what other people think about you. Sometimes I still do.

Sheila said...

Good for Tucker, and what a funny coincidence. :)

Good Example said...

To my surprise my better half asked me if I had a purple ribbon anywhere he could wear to work. Then he explained. Not a surprise, I declined with the same, "I have to work with them and they are set in their ways...especially the church ladies.."

Sometimes I'm not very proud of my behavior.

Lucia said...

What a great kid! if we wear a purple ribbon here it's usually for abused children day.

Cockadoodle Doo or Cocorico?

 We stood in the middle of the road, having walked together 13 miles that day and Claudine grasped my forearm. "Mais non! It doesn'...