Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Happy

Today I am filled with joie de vivre. So many things have gone my way, starting with my morning when I wrote the end of my novel. I still have to go back and add a chapter, along with editing. I'm sure many things will change, but it makes me so energized and thrilled to know that I'm nearly there. Things have really come together the past few days.
Grace asked if she could edit for me and I explained that my experience with Earl as an editor when I was a journalist had convinced me that family shouldn't edit each other's work. I remembered arguing about specific words and big ideas. Nevertheless, I printed off the 280 pages today and handed them to her in a file folder. When she came home from work, she sat alone and ate her dinner of chicken sausage with apples. She read page after page. I walked past and assured her that she didn't need to read it all now. I still planned to write that extra chapter and get it to her. She read more than 80 pages as she crunched on carrots and sat at the table long after she'd finished her dinner. I know she has to tell me that she likes it, but she claims she would be honest if she didn't.
And now, as evening falls, the kids have dispersed and I am home alone. I love being home alone. Probably because I don't get the opportunity very often.
Since I had kids, I have worked from home. We home schooled so I never had time home alone while they were gone to school. They all started school about two and a half years ago then more than a year ago, Earl's job changed and he is home during the day while the kids are at school.
It's not like I do anything special when I'm home alone. Sometimes I do housework, sometimes I exercise, sometimes I surf the web, watch mindless tv or read a book. It's just nice to be alone occasionally. And tonight, I can pour myself a glass of wine and feel satisfied that my writing is progressing.
Then it's back to my papers that are waiting to be graded.

7 comments:

Linda said...

Congratulations on finishing. That's a real accomplishment. I love to be alone too. I recharge that way.

Sheila said...

Congratulations! You've been working really hard, very impressive. If you need another reader I'm always happy to. I have been so unmotivated lately, I really want to get all my glass stuff together so I can start working on windows. I start super motivated then in the 5 seconds it takes me to walk outside I lose my motivation. So sad!

Setareh Ebrahimi said...

the pictures of the clouds is beautiful

Michelle said...

WOOT!! WOOT!! Congratulations!!
You are an inspiration!!
I am joining you in a celebratory drink and toasting your talent!
Looking forward to seeing your novel(s) in print.
<3

Paulita said...

Everyone, Thanks for your kind comments. I hope someday I'll be giving away copies of my new novel. Until then, I'll just keep plugging along.

Gina Johnson said...

Wooooo Hoooooo!!! I'm sooo happy for you! Way to go girl! xo,Gina

Anonymous said...

Woooo Hoooo! I'm soooo happy for you!! xo,Gina

Cockadoodle Doo or Cocorico?

 We stood in the middle of the road, having walked together 13 miles that day and Claudine grasped my forearm. "Mais non! It doesn'...